Has anyone had revision from RNY to the DS?

Bdabney
on 11/13/16 3:22 am

I had RNY in June of 2005, lost 98 lbs in 1st 6 months. I never lost 50% of excess weight and The weight regain started at 6 months post op. 

After many years of tears, frustration and feelings of worthlessness have begun the journey to revision. Met with new surgeon to discuss upper GI results and possibility of revision and he brought up DS as a possible option, Has anyone had this revision? What is your post op life like? What has been your weight loss since revision? Fast, slow, non existent? How are your labs? Do you feel better or do you wish you'd made another decision? I just want to talk to someone about their experiences.

larra
on 11/13/16 8:23 am - bay area, CA

Yes, there are people who have revised from RNY to DS. It can be done, but it's a complex and challenging operation that requires a surgeon experienced with this type of revision. To do it, the surgeon needs to take apart the RNY, restore the original anatomy, and then do the entire DS. It's a lot of surgery and carries significant risks for gastric leak and other serious complications.

I can't answer your questions about personal experiences because I never had any kind of revision, but I will send you a pm with more info.

Larra

Beam me up Scottie
on 11/13/16 9:10 am
As Larra said, the surgery is complex..and should only be performed by a surgeon that has done it before (you don't want to be the first).

I'd recommend using the search function. There were at one time, a few people here that had revisions to the DS.