New star in the sky. RIP Roxx

Randy B.
on 11/11/16 7:55 pm - Toronto, Canada

I am doubtful anyone will remember me or Roxxy. We had surgery going on 10 years ago. I slipped into a coma and almost died of liver failure due to malnutrition. In Canada the DS is not a regular surgery and even when I was in ICU post coma, they had no idea what to do. I called my surgeon in the US Dr. L and he told me about TPN which the docs here said would kill me. Dr. L insisted I would die without it and so I insisted. That was 3 1/2 years ago. Sadly, my Roxx was not as lucky. Please, if any of you do remember her, her family does not want any mention of the DS on Facebook in coralation with her death. I just thought in light of this and my own brush with death and subsequent 2ish years in hospital that I should come here and remind you all to eat right and take your sips. If your friends and family tell you that you are getting too thin - listen. 

LOVING my DS!!!!!

godzilla
on 11/11/16 8:59 pm - Israel
I am a RnYer revision after an old-style ribg from 1992 and RnY was is 2008 however as my RnY was similar to a DS without a sleeve i,would pop in here to this board to read and ansorb what more info as i could.
I don't remember you or her by name but i am sorry for your loss!
I am now struggling with my protein intake and although i taje my vitamin supplements and srink,a protein drink (i buy a 5lbs canister), my totalprotein and albumin levels have slowly dropped in ths last few months.
My highest weight was 120K and i now weigh 64K; i am on the short side at 152cm so i still have not gotten to a 'normal' bmi but i also look back from where i started from.
Again for sorry for your loss-i would be interested in more of Roxxy weight loss journey but only if you want to share it here and have permission.
Mikimi in Israel
* Nicole *
on 11/12/16 4:38 am

Hi Randy, some of us oldtimers are around, and do remember.

Im terribly sorry over Roxxy's passing. Very sad to hear.

Yes it is crucial to stay dilligent. And one of the best things you can do in Roxxys memory is be a squeaky wheel to others, remind them of the commiment.

DS Aug 15th,2005 @ goal, living life and loving it.

"An Arabian will take care of its owner as no other horse will, for it has not only been raised to physical perfection, but has been instilled with a spirit of loyalty unparalleled by that of any other breed."

larra
on 11/12/16 9:25 am - bay area, CA

I am so sorry for your loss. I will mention, though, that it isn't just a matter of becoming too thin, people can become malnourished at any weight if we don't keep up with our protein, vitamins and minerals. It's a lifetime commitment. This is not to say that Roxxy didn't keep up - I have no idea - but if her passing will help remind others to stay on track, it will not be in vain.

Larra

Beam me up Scottie
on 11/12/16 12:56 pm
I'm sorry for Roxxy's loss. I know it's really hard to lose someone you care about. Hopefully you have regained your strength from your incident. As Larra said, it's not getting too thin, I've seen RNYers post about their Vitamin B levels drop and almost dying.

It is a reminder that with any surgery that has malabsorbtion (RNY, Distal RNY, DS, Loop DS) that long term follow up is REALLY important...with doctors that know what to look for regarding malnutrition. If you aren't on it, make sure you get on Vitalady's regime. It has worked for me for 10 years. I have yet to have a bad set of labs....and I literally believe she saved my life (my first set of labs were terrible and my doctor's office tried to give me prescription oil based D....and was SHOCKED that i was taking 100K a day of D.

Yet it's kept me well this long!

Scott

MajorMom
on 11/13/16 1:33 am - VA

Hi Randy, I remember you. I'm so sorry to hear of Roxxy's passing and I agree with what everyone has posted about staying on course with a routine that works and a doctor who gets it.

--gina 

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Kathy S.
on 11/14/16 11:27 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Randy,

This is such sad news, thank you for letting us know.  We are so glad you are doing better!  

Regards,

Kathy

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Most Active
Smelly gas
1Mari_sunflower · 3 replies · 61 views
Recent Topics
Smelly gas
1Mari_sunflower · 3 replies · 61 views
Old timer dropping by! (2006)
maryc543 · 6 replies · 717 views