GERD & the DS

PattyL
on 10/10/16 1:01 pm

Even IF(and this is not true) the RNY would take care of your GERD, it would never let you lose the weight and keep it off.  You need a LOT more malabsorbtion.

K P.
on 10/10/16 5:10 pm
DS on 07/08/14

I had GERD before my DS but controlled it with 20mg of Prilosec daily. Now I control it with eating and 40mg of Prilosec. I've tried other meds but only the Prilosec works. It may take some trial and error but you should be able to find some help thru medication. I wouldn't settle for an RNY especially since you've come so far and still have so far to go. GERD is manageable, but being overweight is going to cause more problems. 

HW 284; SW 270; CW 152; Revised GW 140-160  

Donna L.
on 10/10/16 6:40 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I take 40 mg of omeprazole which reduces the 9/10 pain to a 5/10.  The GERD is so bad I need a total knee replacement, don't take painkillers, and this is worse than the knee.  I was on Dexilant which wasn't horrible, but insurance put in an exclusion just for the Dexilant.  They said they may be willing to reconsider the policy for me due to the severity.  Diet has helped too, but it's still pretty awful.

I'm just so tired of being overweight.  I've lost over half my body weight and I'm just ready to be done.  I'm glad I could get the sleeve earlier as it helped tremendously.  Just ready for the DS finally.  I'm hoping the new weight loss and hernia repair will save the GERD.

I'll make an argument for the surgeon.  We'll see what he says.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Petunia
on 10/12/16 5:02 am

I'm 10 years out and take a 20mg Omeprazole daily.  I've tried to go off them this past year without changing my diet and didn't have any luck.  I eat and drink a lot of dairy and love spicy food.  

My daughter had the VSG about 9 years ago and she was able to go off hers in the first year.