Malnutrition

Hope90
on 10/2/16 10:08 pm

Hi everyone. My mother had this surgery in December of 2005. She's lost so much weight to the point she's had to get the surgery revised so she could gain weight. The revision was done Sept 7th. She's been feeling very weak and had been prior to the revision. She can't taste any food or even get out of the bed because of her being so weak. Her doctor said that she is malnourished because she hasn't been taking the vitamins she needs. Tonight she was rushed to the hospital because she was delirious. Has anyone else gone through this or know of someone who has? I'm very worried about her and I would appreciate it if anyone had some answers for me. Thank you

hollykim
on 10/3/16 9:56 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On October 3, 2016 at 5:08 AM Pacific Time, Hope90 wrote:

Hi everyone. My mother had this surgery in December of 2005. She's lost so much weight to the point she's had to get the surgery revised so she could gain weight. The revision was done Sept 7th. She's been feeling very weak and had been prior to the revision. She can't taste any food or even get out of the bed because of her being so weak. Her doctor said that she is malnourished because she hasn't been taking the vitamins she needs. Tonight she was rushed to the hospital because she was delirious. Has anyone else gone through this or know of someone who has? I'm very worried about her and I would appreciate it if anyone had some answers for me. Thank you

sorry to hear. Obviously this is why we stress taking vitamins as seriously as we do. 

I have no advice. I sincerely hope none of her symptoms are irreversible. At the point where she is, it is very likely that she has caused herself permanent damage. 

So sorry.

Hope90
on 10/3/16 10:06 am

Thank you for your response. I hope the symptoms aren't irreversible either. Hopefully she can get past this. Thanks again. 

larra
on 10/3/16 11:02 am - bay area, CA

Hope, I'm very sorry about your mother.

Unfortunately, many docs don't understand the nutritional needs of someone with the DS, so many patients don't get proper advice as to how to maintain good nutrition. and of course some patients get good advice and don't follow it, but I think most of us make the effort to stay healthy.

Your mother's docs need to check all the usual routine labs, which I'm sure they've already done, as well as protein levels and lots of different vitamin levels, including the fat soluble vitamins (A, D, and K, E is also fat soluble but deficiencies are uncommon) and all the B vitamins, and also calcium, zinc and copper levels. It might be helpful for them to contact her DS surgeon for advice, though again, not every DS surgeon provides adequate nutritional info either.

I hope they can get her stabilized and back on the road to good health.

Larra

Beam me up Scottie
on 10/4/16 8:54 pm
No advice, but taking vitamins will be an important part of any DSers long term care. You may want to do a bit of research on your own. I use a modified version of the regime found on www.vitalady.com
Grim_Traveller
on 10/5/16 11:13 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I want to second what larra said above. Getting COMPLETE labs is vital. Checking all labs, vitamins and minerals requires 14 or 15 vials of blood. If they don't draw that many, they are skipping a lot of things. In her condition, 11 years post DS, she really, really needs this done. Insist on it.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.