Bathroom question

Darice N.
on 9/10/16 6:25 pm - Washington, AR
Lap Band on 08/08/05 with

i had my DS ON 8/31 & had a bout of diarrhea a couple of days later. I took Imodium to control the diarrhea & I haven't had a BM since. Do I need to take something like Miralax since it's been 7 days? I am still on full liquids. Before surgery I had constipation often, sometimes so badly that it required a suppository. I don't want to have diarrhea but I don't want to get impacted either.

Revision to DS: 8/31/2016 with Dr. Alejandro Lopez in Tijuana

SW: 260 (before pre-op diet)/CW:150(5/30/17)GW:140

Valerie G.
on 9/11/16 5:03 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

First off, to get things moving, you need to get plenty of water and fat.  If a doc or nutritionist said to eat low-fat, throw that advice out the window.  If you are taking any pain meds still, they also contribute to constipation.  In fact, I cannot take narcotics more than a day without constipation.  

Next - I want to make sure you understand the difference between loose stool and diarrhea.  With the DS, kiss the days of formed turds good bye.  Your stools will always have a loose consistency.  Mine are pudding-like, usually.  Contrast to what I define as diarrhea, which is also loose, but you're running to the toilet from fear of crapping your pants.  That is not normal.  Normal for most is a giant poop once or twice a day.  For many of us, this is first thing in the morning.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Darice N.
on 9/11/16 10:01 am - Washington, AR

Thanks, Val. I finally had a poop this morning. Big difference in what I had right after surgery, 3 times changing underwear & showering.

Valerie G.
on 9/12/16 9:54 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Oh my - that's not normal either. If this continues, I'd start looking at what you're consuming.  Two triggers of this sort for me would be milk (but not all dairy) and artificial sweeteners.  Many of us are very sensitive to those at first.  These days, onions are the devil to me, but not much else.  That's bad enough - because I just love onions.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Darice N.
on 9/21/16 7:49 am - Washington, AR

It was milk.  After surgery, I also broke out in hives from the Whey protein shakes.  I've had to change my protein products. 

JazzyOne9254
on 9/25/16 10:22 am

Try whey protein Isolate.  I can't use straight whey either, because I'm lactose intolerant. My surgeon recommended it in the hospital, and sure enough, the bathroom issue stopped.

The isolate also affects the milk when it's mixed,in a shake, so I can drink regular whole milk with a long splash of heavy cream.

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

Darice N.
on 9/26/16 6:26 am - Washington, AR

Thanks. I will

JazzyOne9254
on 9/26/16 8:06 am

Most of the lactose is processed out of Whey Protein Isolate, and that's what made the difference for me.

I use Now Sports unflavored Whey Protein Isolate. It also comes in Chocolate Vanilla and Strawberry.You can buy it in containers of 2.5 and 5 pounds, up to a 10# bag at luckyvitamin.com.  Don't forget to search eBay and Amazon as well, for vitamins. 

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

DollyGirl3
on 9/26/16 8:17 pm

You just made me smile, very witty response....

DollyGirl3
on 9/26/16 10:18 pm

BTW my  previous "witty" comment was meant for Valerie G's initial response... A little humor can go a long way when dealing with such scary and potentially embarrassing topics....