Chia seed pudding!!!!!!!!!! And jicama rolls.

Beam me up Scottie
on 9/5/16 11:03 pm, edited 9/6/16 4:25 pm
Very few new foods excite me, but I had to share. <br />
<br />
I mixed 3 cups of almond milk or soy milk (I used soy milk-Soy Slender-chocolate) with 2/3 cups of chia seeds, mixed in a bit more Splenda and put it in them fridge. It becomes pudding like in consistency. It is sooooooooo good,and hardly any net carbs. I mixed it with cottage cheese but berries would have been good too. Or some type of crushed almonds. <br />
<br />
It's the easiest low carb dessert I ever made. <br />
<br />
On a side note, I also found jicama tortillas in my supermarket. Not exactly bread....but they make great lunch rolls. I've been stuffing mine with shredded chicken.
hollykim
on 9/6/16 3:17 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On September 6, 2016 at 6:03 AM Pacific Time, Beam me up Scottie wrote:
Very few new foods excite me, but I had to share.

I mixed 3 cups of almond milk (soy slender) with 2/3 cups of chia seeds, mixed in a bit more Splenda and put it in them fridge. It becomes pudding like in consistency. It is sooooooooo good,and hardly any net carbs. I mixed it with cottage cheese but berries would have been good too. Or some type of crushed almonds.

It's the easiest low carb dessert I ever made.

On a side note, I also found jicama tortillas in my supermarket. Not exactly bread....but they make great lunch rolls. I've been stuffing mine with shredded chicken.

what supermarket?

Beam me up Scottie
on 9/6/16 4:24 pm
HEB
Desertlady60
on 9/7/16 8:26 am

My friend in Florida gave me smoothie

recipe with chia seeds too

1/2 cup organic coconu****er

1/2 banana

1/2 cup berries

3 tablespoons of chia seeds

blend in blender

taste very good and the protein is completely digestible 

Crazeru
on 9/6/16 3:21 pm

I have dark chocolate almond milk in the fridge and bags of chia seeds.  May have to try this.  I did pick some fresh blackberries yesterday. 

The tortillas sound great.  Do you need to go to a Mexican store to get them?

Thanks Scottie!

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

Beam me up Scottie
on 9/6/16 4:24 pm
I used 3/4 cup of chia seed to 3 cups of chocolate soy milk. The soy milk I used had splenda in it, but I found that it wasn't sweet enough so I added more splenda.

I stirred it really well and put it in the fridge overnight. I read online that it can depend on the chia seeds- sometimes the pudding sets in minutes sometimes it takes longer. If it is still too loose add more chia seeds.

I just started playing with this but so far so good. The net carbs are fantastic. Chia seeds have zero net carbs and the soy milk I'm using only has 4 per serving. So for a full cup i'm guessing 3 to 4 carbs?

I am going to try freezing it and seeing if it comes out like an "ice cream".

BTW "tortillas" were in the HEB by my house. I went to Walmart looking for them but they did not have them.
Crazeru
on 9/6/16 5:43 pm

I've used Chia seeds since Sept of 2008 after my DS and loose stools.  They work wonders, plus they are healthy and have fiber and protein.  I can't wait to try that tonight.  I'm wondering if I added a scoop of plant protein powder to the pudding...  I like the idea of freezing it in a cup for a frozen snack too.

You must be in the south!  No HEB's that I know of in Cali.  We do have lots of Mexican markets though in Sac.

Here's info from WebMD:

Chia is an edible seed that comes from the desert plant Salvia hispanica, grown in Mexico dating back to Mayan and Aztec cultures. "Chia" means strength, and folklore has it that these cultures used the tiny black and white seeds as an energy booster. That makes sense, as chia seeds are a concentrated food containing healthy omega-3 fatty acids, carbohydrates, protein, fiber, antioxidants, and calcium.

Chia seeds are an unprocessed, whole-grain food that can be absorbed by the body as seeds (unlike flaxseeds). One ounce (about 2 tablespoons) contains 139 calories, 4 grams of protein, 9 grams fat, 12 grams carbohydrates and 11 grams of fiber, plus vitamins and minerals.

The mild, nutty flavor of chia seeds makes them easy to add to foods and beverages. They are most often sprinkled on cereal, sauces, vegetables, rice dishes, or yogurt or mixed into drinks and baked goods. They can also be mixed with water and made into a gel.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

Beam me up Scottie
on 9/6/16 10:12 pm
I am in Texas!

I'm eating about 2 cups a day. It's like a "free" food for us.

I was thinking of substituting a chocolate protein shake for the milk. Or blending in some crushed nuts and a few (just a small handful) of dried fruit to give it a better texture.

Let me know what you try and how yours turns out!

I never needed chia before......but they seem useful!
Beam me up Scottie
on 9/6/16 10:14 pm
I bet you could buy a whole jicama and slice it thin....about a 1/4 inch slices. I couldn't do it by hand but maybe with a mandolin?
Beam me up Scottie
on 9/6/16 10:15 pm
http://healthyeaton.com/jicama-taco-shells/

Here you go!