Upcoming revision surgery- RNY to biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch

Leslie3101
on 8/25/16 6:23 am

Hello from NC. I am scheduled for a revision on 9/26/16 from RNY (2001) to biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch. I am very nervous about the surgery. My BMI is 40. Has anyone else had this revisional surgery done? If so, I would love to hear about your journey. Thanks 

Valerie G.
on 8/25/16 8:47 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Yes, we have several, in fact.  Who's your surgeon?

Also, look at the Revision board if you've not gone there yet. 

Welcome!

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Leslie3101
on 8/25/16 9:07 am

Thank you for the reply. My surgeons name is Peter Ng (Raleigh, NC). I posted this message on the revision board also. 

larra
on 8/25/16 10:52 am - bay area, CA

Yes, there are other people who have had this done. The failure rate for RNY gastric bypass is substantial. It is my personal belief that more people would have revisions from gastric bypass to DS if they understood that the reason the operation failed was that the operation failed and not that THEY failed the operation, and if they knew there was something better available, AND if their insurers would pay for the revision.

I will send you more info in a pm so be on the lookout for it.

Larra

summerset
on 8/27/16 12:21 am

I think that insurance thing might be the biggest hurdle for the majority of people when it comes to getting revision.