I was fat-shamed

ILoveFlowers
on 8/9/16 11:56 am

I live in Texas and last weekend was the tax free weekend for back to school.  I had to work that morning, but as soon as I got off, I went to the nearest large town (Lubbock, TX) to take advantage of the sales and tax break for my 9 year old daughter.  I hadn't eaten all day, so I went to one of our favorite restaurants for lunch.  I ordered the Chicken Fried Steak--virtually everyone does.  It's that good.  Yes, I know it's not the healthiest meal there, but I haven't eaten anything off a low-carb, low-fat diet in 4 months.  I can't even remember the last time we went to a restaurant, much less the last time I had that particular meal.  I was sitting there by myself when the waitress brought me my meal.  I asked her for a to go box and cut the meal in half so I could take half of it home to my husband.  The next thing I know, a hispanic 19-20 year old boy in a Texas Tech t-shirt came to my table and spewed all these negative comments about how fat and disgusting I am and how it's people like me that make insurance so high for people like him.  I didn't know what to say, so I just sat there while he spouted out his "wisdom" and hate.  He took great joy in publicly humiliating me just because I'm fat.  Not one person told him to sit down or intervened in any way--they just all watched the spectacle.  He left right before the waitress came back.  She apologized profusely, but it didn't make it any better.  She and another waiter made the kid and his friends leave--which made the kids angry.  I know that kids are stupid at times and sometimes act in inappropriate ways, but come on.  I was sitting alone, not bothering anyone, and I was singled out for my weight.  For the recordl--I am going to have the duodenal switch surgery soon. The financing is already in place, I'm just waiting on the doctor to set a date.  His office called and said that as soon as there is an opening on the surgical schedule, they will schedule my surgery.  I have been working for 2 years to get this surgery--I can't wait for it to happen.  I seriously doubt that I will ever go back to that restaurant or have that meal ever again.  Why do people think that just because you're fat, they can say or do anything they want to you?  I have never in my life ever treated anyone that way--I hope I never do.

PattyL
on 8/9/16 2:45 pm

Very sad and very wrong.  No one should be treated that way.  I feel sorry for you.  He really needed to WEAR that chicken fried steak...

ILoveFlowers
on 8/10/16 11:47 am

What?  And waste perfectly good chicken fried steak?  Never!

NoreenRT
on 8/9/16 5:38 pm - Warner Robins, GA

My heart broke as I read your post.  I am so sorry that you were treated this way.  This young man must have an absolutely horrible home life, if he thinks making a spectacle of himself in a public place is ok.  I can't imagine what his parents taught him.

I'm a little too forward, and even when I was 350#s I spoke up for myself. But, I also think that we've become a nation of scaredy cats and no one stands up for anyone else these days.  We are all afraid to get hurt, or retaliation.

I'll step off my soap box now and wish you Congrats on your decision to have a healthier life w/ the DS. May your journey be exciting.

Noreen  HW 352 / SW 324 / CW 175/ LW/ 148 / GW 150   (achieved Aug 14 '11)

ILoveFlowers
on 8/10/16 11:47 am

Thank you so much.  I truly appreciate your kind words.

larra
on 8/9/16 5:43 pm - bay area, CA

I'm with Patty. If that had been me, he'd have been wearing at least some gravy. But I probably would have aimed somewhat lower than his face, if you get my drift. But I'm probably a lot older than you and have spent years not taking any s&*T from anyone.

I'm very sorry this happened to you. I bet his parents would have been appalled, at least I hope so.

Larra

ILoveFlowers
on 8/10/16 11:49 am

Thank you so much.  It all happened so fast, I didn't even think of what to say.  I'm just glad I was alone and my daughter wasn't with me. 

(deactivated member)
on 8/9/16 9:24 pm

I don't feel that bad for you as you'll definitely get past this and be better off long term for having the experience. The kid is someone I fell sorry for, as he is stuck with being an as$&ho/e, maybe for life.

ILoveFlowers
on 8/10/16 11:51 am

You are so right.  I will lose the weight.  Plus, I will be more likely to stand up for someone else on down the road because I've been treated this way.  Thank you for pointing that out.

pammieanne
on 8/10/16 11:32 am - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

Oh my lord! How awful!!!

I hope you're able to move past that, think about your upcoming surgery, and remember that there is Karma, and that young man will reap twice as much back to him one of these days!

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs