Scheduled for revision from LB to DS on 8/31 and terrified!!

Darice N.
on 8/2/16 11:24 am - Washington, AR
Lap Band on 08/08/05 with

I am terrified that I won't lose the amount of weight that I would like.  When I got my lap band 11 years ago I only lost 45 lbs. I guess I really shouldn't complain.  I lost from 265 down to 220, but I needed and wanted to lose closer to 100 lbs.  I have gained all but 10 lbs. back.  I do not eat very much but I eat the wrong things because they go down and stay down so much better.  I am trying to up my protein intake and cut out the refined sugar in hopes that I can kick start my metabolism before the DS surgery.  Does anyone have any ideas on how to better ensure that I will lose the weight that I want?  My goal is between 130-140.  I am 5'4" tall. I do admit that when I got my lap band I was not as informed about the proper diet as I am now.  But I have my head on right now and am determined to follow everything that I am supposed to, including exercise. 

larra
on 8/2/16 4:07 pm - bay area, CA

The DS is completely different from life with lap band. Not only are you better informed this time, you will have a stomach that works normally (after recovery, of course) instead of a gadget that actually interferes with you eating a healthy diet. You will have both restriction and malabsorption to help you. You will have metabolic changes to help you. With your lap band, you had none of the above.

No one can promise you that you will reach your goal, but you will find it much, much easier to lose weight and keep it off with the DS. You will achieve your best possible result, whatever that might be, by doing what you are already planning - emphasizing protein and limiting carbs, esp simple carbs. You will need to take more vitamins and minerals, but IMHO that's a whole lot easier than living with a low calorie, low carb, low fat diet while struggling to choke down the foods you are supposed to eat.

Larra

Darice N.
on 8/2/16 6:37 pm - Washington, AR

Larra, Thank you for the encouragement. I needed it.

airbender
on 8/3/16 10:58 am

Like Larra said, it is very different (I was a banded pt)  the quality of life is amazing with the DS, you will get used to taking pills, it is a small price to pay.  no one can answer the question of will you lose the weight.   any and all bariatric surgeries can be sabotaged, but the DS is your best bet at normalcy.  Follow a low carb diet, keep it under 50 gm/day, and post DS maximize your weight loss window, typically 18 months out, as intestinal adaptation will make it more difficult.  you are making a great decision, good luck with your journey

If you have a specific question for me, PM me or I will not see it, as I don't check responses on the forums and don't have anything forwarded to my email.

Darice N.
on 8/3/16 11:51 am - Washington, AR

Thanks for the encouragement.  How did you do as far as weight lost compared to the band?

Revision to DS: 8/31/2016 with Dr. Alejandro Lopez in Tijuana

SW: 260 (before pre-op diet)/CW:150(5/30/17)GW:140

airbender
on 8/4/16 5:08 pm

I lost all my weight with the LB and DS, yes I know it is unusual....

If you have a specific question for me, PM me or I will not see it, as I don't check responses on the forums and don't have anything forwarded to my email.