1991 Stomach Stapling

mizging
on 7/13/16 6:36 pm

Hi, I'm looking....seriously looking for a doctor willing to do surgery to fix me.  The stoma at the bottom of the pouch created from the surgery has formed scar tissue, leaving the opening the size of a pencil erasure.  I'm on liquid only, and feel horrible.  I think most of my problem is stress.  Anyone else have scar tissue problems?  I'm so afraid.

Valerie G.
on 7/14/16 4:53 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Are you looking specifically to get the DS?

I don't think we have many old stomach stapling revisions, but there are plenty out here who have revised to DS from RNY, which also has a stoma.  Otherwise, there is also a wls complications forum if you go to the link at the top of the screen.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

PattyL
on 7/14/16 11:53 am

You might have just a stricture that can be dilated with an endoscope.  You may not need surgery at all.  Only one way to find out!

mizging
on 7/14/16 4:01 pm

I have had numerous endoscopy procedures, the most recent being July 2nd, but I was told by the GI doc, no more...too much bleeding and irritation, and I'm only to have liquids until I get it fixed.  Problem...finding a surgeon who wants to fix me.  I'm 70 and this will be an open operation.  

larra
on 7/14/16 12:00 pm - bay area, CA

You have a serious, severe complication that is NOT your fault and is not something you can fix yourself. Meanwhile, it's damaging your health. The problem is not stress, though I'm sure you are stressed, the problem is a severe stricture.

Get yourself to a surgeon who is experienced with complex revisions. Whether you revise to a DS or something else, you need something done about this. Since this is the DS forum, the people here, including me, are most familiar with the DS surgeons who are experienced with revisions. There may also be RNY surgeons out there who know how to revise you to RNY, but I wouldn't know who they are, nor can I say what revisions would work for you based on what you already have and what wouldn't be possible.

If you are interested in revising to the DS, your best bets would be Dr. Ara Keshishian in the Los Angeles are or Dr. John Rabkin in San Francisco, or Dr. Ayoola in Denton, TX. I think Dr. Simper in Utah may also do revisions, and Dr. Greenbaum in NJ does them on a selective basis (depending on what the patient already has).

Larra

mizging
on 7/14/16 4:04 pm

Thank you all for the information.  I will certainly look into the two doctors that have been mentioned to me by someone else.  I know the time has come...I just hope MY time hasn't come.

larra
on 7/14/16 5:32 pm - bay area, CA

Don't panic. Yes, we're talking about major surgery, but lots of people your age and older have major surgery for all sorts of reasons. You think all those folks having open heart surgery are spring chickens? Many are in their 70's, 80's, even 90's. Same for lots of other surgeries. You just need to find the right surgeon for the specific problem that you have.

Larra

Lisaann68
on 9/7/16 9:55 pm

Hi there! I had the old fashion vbg (stomach stapling) in 2006. It was horrible. I was revised to the DS in 2009. It was the best thing I had ever done. I didn't notice where you live, but hopefully you can find a skilled revision surgeon. I had my surgery at Madigan Army Medical Center with Dr. Martin, here in Washington. I've thankfully had zero complications, and feel 200 percent better! Good luck!!!