Trouble with TSA when traveling?

BrightsideSusan
on 7/5/16 4:54 pm - Pleasanton, CA

For the past couple of years, since the TSA put in the total body scans, I have been pulled aside for a pat-down every single time I fly.  I am told that there is an "anomaly" in my midsection.  I have explained my post surgery tummy and each time the agents seem to be confused.  I am surprises, too, since there are obviously a lot of obese people traveling (I used to be one) and yet my tummy gets me intimately inspected each time I travel.

I don't like having to hold up the line,  pull up my shirt to reveal what I carefully dress to cover and can never wear a dress while traveling anymore, plus I have to plan for extra time to get through security.

Anyone else have this issue?  If I had the money, this would be the reason I would consider getting plastic surgery to deal with my excess skin!

BrightsideSusan
HW310 CW143 GW150

BPD-DS on October 24, 2012

fitnessfoodlife.blogspot.com

K P.
on 7/5/16 10:32 pm
DS on 07/08/14

Sorry to hear this. I travel regularly and have never had an issue. If you travel often maybe consider tsa pre-check. It is definitely worth the money!

HW 284; SW 270; CW 152; Revised GW 140-160  

BrightsideSusan
on 7/7/16 7:01 am - Pleasanton, CA

Now that 2 out of 3 of my kids are now living within driving range, I will probably fly less which is why I didn't invest in the pre-check.  Just curious if this had happened to others!

BrightsideSusan
HW310 CW143 GW150

Valerie G.
on 7/6/16 4:52 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Are you wearing a shaper or a frumpy shirt?  They said overlapping clothes sometimes will set it off (I used to travel weekly to work via plane).

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

BrightsideSusan
on 7/7/16 7:04 am - Pleasanton, CA

No shape wear, Just a tee shirt over cotton pants  I was traveling with my sister who is very slim and she had an untucked top, too.  She got through just fine.  It seems to be the "roll" of excess skin and fat around my midriff that sets it off every time.  They always ask if I am wearing a money belt under my clothes!  

BrightsideSusan
HW310 CW143 GW150

PattyL
on 7/6/16 12:06 pm, edited 7/6/16 5:29 am

Never had this problem.  You might want to apply for this if you are going to travel quite a bit.  It eliminates a lot of the hassles.  https://www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck/apply

And one more thing, more than a few of us have a titanium ring that marks the end of our intestinal limb.  It's done quite intentionally in case they ever need to find it.  You may have some metal in your gut!

BrightsideSusan
on 7/7/16 7:08 am - Pleasanton, CA

I will have to find out if they left something - The TSA always says it is an anomaly.  Like that is the scripted wording.  No mention of metal.

If I flew more than once or twice a year I would spend the money on the pre-check.  Last time I flew it the cost would have been equal to my ticket!  And you have to keep re-newing (and paying) it.

BrightsideSusan
HW310 CW143 GW150

chevtow41
on 7/10/16 7:44 am
DS on 11/11/14

Had this happen just 2 months ago. I told the agent I had lost a lot of weight and had some extra skin in the area they were concerned about - he said that's what was causing the problem. They did a manual pat down and I was on my way. He made it sound like this problem is becoming more known.

BrightsideSusan
on 7/10/16 2:58 pm - Pleasanton, CA

Interesting!  I was beginning to think I was a real odd ball!  Thanks for replying.

BrightsideSusan
HW310 CW143 GW150

Grim_Traveller
on 7/11/16 6:33 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I had exactly the same experience as chevtow.

I don't have excess skin nearly as bad as some, but apparently it was enough to set their machine off.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.