$250.00 for medical records? Does that sound right?

kimatlast
on 6/13/16 4:15 pm

I had a VSG in 2009 at Jerusalem Hospital in Tijuana, and am now thinking of getting a DS here in the USA, since I have the insurance to cover it. The surgeon says the first thing they need are the records from my VSG surgery. So I emailed them in Tijuana, and they said, "Sure, send us $250.00." I guess they have me over a barrel, but it seems excessive. 

Donna L.
on 6/13/16 4:49 pm, edited 6/13/16 9:49 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

That sounds high.  Some places here do change .25/page, but have a cap.  We do discounts for digital records or faxes, but we're not a surgeon's office.  Maybe that's an option?

Always call versus email when asking for discounts - its more human and inspires more empathy.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

hollykim
on 6/13/16 5:16 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On June 13, 2016 at 11:15 PM Pacific Time, kimatlast wrote:

I had a VSG in 2009 at Jerusalem Hospital in Tijuana, and am now thinking of getting a DS here in the USA, since I have the insurance to cover it. The surgeon says the first thing they need are the records from my VSG surgery. So I emailed them in Tijuana, and they said, "Sure, send us $250.00." I guess they have me over a barrel, but it seems excessive. 

you do know the records will come in Spanish, right?

kimatlast
on 6/13/16 5:24 pm

I didn't think of that. But you are absolutely right.

larra
on 6/13/16 10:37 pm - bay area, CA

In the USA you are legally entitled to your medical records, though a clinic or hospital can charge a reasonable fee (whatever that means) for copying them for you. but your surgery was in a different country and the laws there may not be the same. I don't think we can make a comparison to what is typical in the USA.

Larra