Has anyone revised an existing DS to lose more weight?

sunshine1968
on 6/25/16 10:49 am

I would speak to veteran DS patients on the Facebook pages as they may be able to provide input. Many regain 20-30 down the road. Not sure how far out you are but I would speak with the vets. 

Keegsmama1974
on 6/22/16 7:06 pm

Hi. I'm looking into revising mine too. I'm in Canada and have my appt with the surgeon Aug.5th. I'm hoping they can do something. You get any answers of yes someone had it done?

Bobbi

sunshine1968
on 6/25/16 10:46 am

Hi there. I'm sorry you're looking to revise also. If it's not too personal, what has been your experience and why do you want to revise? Did your doctor do a one size fits all duodenal switch and are you on the shorter side height wise? Are you struggling with not being full or not malabsorbing enough and how far out are you? Curious to whether your experience is similar to mine. 

I may speak with Dr Keshishian out of California. Let me know what you find out and. I will do the same if I wind up going to see him. For now I'm trying to go back to basics to see if that helps and if I can keep it up. 

Keegsmama1974
on 6/25/16 10:56 am

Hi,

Well I had my surgery in Feb 2004. Back then it wasn't as advanced as now. I lost my paperwork so I have no idea what he did. I know I can eat way too much and I don't get full much. The odd time I am full and the food sits there for hours and I end up throwing up. I also got pregnant almost 10 mth after surgery which didn't help. I have gained back half of what I lost. I never got a chance to lose to my capacity because of getting pregnant. (I was told I wouldn't have kids) I also have had some mental health issues and the meds I have been on have made me gain weight. I think my stomach is stretched. I am hoping they will make the sleeve smaller. They no longer do the DS where I am going. I am not even sure they do it at all. I see the surgeon on Aug.5th to see what he says.  I have a severe vitamin D deficiency but seem to be ok with all the others.  I never had emotional eating but the last 6 mths or so I have and it sucks.

Kim B.
on 7/21/16 1:15 pm - Mesa, AZ

I am band over DS.  I had my DS in May of 2002 weighing 400 pounds.  In January of 2006 my intestines flipped and I had to have emergency surgery to fix them.  I was sent to my DS doctor because the emergency room doctors would not touch me.  I was stalled at 250 pounds at that point and my Doctor suggested placing the band since he was going in anyway.  I am 14 years out from the DS and 10 1/2 years out from the band and weight 165-170 today.  I have maintained my weight for the past 8 years with the bands help.  The DS did not teach me how to eat, it just helped me lose the weight rapidly with little effort on my part so I really never learned how to make the scale move on my own.  When I got the band it was a whole new ball game of learning adventures.