Has anyone revised an existing DS to lose more weight?

sunshine1968
on 6/11/16 7:13 pm

Has anyone had their existing DS revised to lose more weight?  My surgeon did a one size fits all DS and I think I'm one of the few who didn't lose enough because of this. I went from 320 down to 185 then regained weight up to 215. I'm 2 years and 6 months out from surgery. I have been trying to "diet" but it's been a struggle so I'm trying to figure out what to do. I'm only 5'2-3 and my goal was to hit the 140's. I never got there and am feeling very depressed about this and am trying to figure out what to do. 

If you did have a revision who performed it? 

larra
on 6/12/16 8:57 am - bay area, CA

I have no personal experience with revision, but I've heard of people having a re-sleeve or adjustment of the length of the common channel. The cookie cutter DS works well for some people but not for everyone. You could consult with one of the DS surgeons who is experienced with revisions and get their opinion. The ones that come to mind are Dr. John Rabkin of pacific Laparoscopy in San Francisco and Dr. Ara Keshishian in Glendale CA (a suburb of Los Angeles).

Larra

-Flo-
on 6/12/16 11:51 am
DS on 04/11/16

Do you have a true DS or a SIPS/SADI?

sunshine1968
on 6/12/16 7:37 pm

Yes. I have a true DS;however, it's a one size fits all DS and the HESS method was not used. 

(deactivated member)
on 6/12/16 9:31 pm

As part of life's cruel irony, I'm in the opposite situation. I had the Sadi DS and started at 300lbs looking for a goal of about 185 to 200. 

I'm now at 140lbs and my surgeon is talking about lengthening my common channel. I eat close to 3k calories per day but can gain weight. I'm hoping my body will start absorbing more soon. Otherwise I'll have to go with a longer common channel. As a SADi DS patient, it should already be around 400cms.

(deactivated member)
on 6/12/16 9:32 pm

Can't gain

PattyL
on 6/13/16 12:18 pm

I hope you are on creon and or viokase?  I would sure try that before more surgery!  Plus the further out you are, the more your body will adapt to the surgery do it's best to gain weight!

(deactivated member)
on 6/14/16 12:33 am

I've seen a lot of neg. feedback on Creon so I've been reluctant to try it. My DS surgeon has me using something called remuscle which I just started. It's supposed to help add muscle to middle aged and up crowd.

Crazeru
on 6/13/16 5:20 pm

You may want to try 4-5 protein shakes along with eating your regular meals.  One of the ladies here long time ago kept losing, the only thing that helped her to regain was getting enough protein in with the shakes and real food. 

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

(deactivated member)
on 6/14/16 12:29 am

I seem to have stabilized in the low 140's over the past few months as long as I keep eating north of 2.5k calories. I had been as low as 135. 

The protein doesn't seem to absorb well so when I go heavy on it, I get kidney stones and end up in the hospital, which also leads to weight loss. I'm hoping now that I'm 19 months post op, I'll start to absorb more and the "honeymoon" weight loss period will end.