I'm tired all the time and it's probably because of my diet. What do you eat? How much do...

AmandaID
on 6/20/16 3:10 pm - Shoshone, ID

I agree with a previous poster that you are most likely in a perpetual "carb coma." Also, protein deficiency can cause tiredness. 

Shoot for:

120 grams protein daily, minimum (more if your pre-albumin and other protein indicators are not at a strong level)

100-200 grams fat daily (this helps with the satiety, as well as "brain fog" -- if you're not getting enough healthy fats, your brain doesn't function well)

Fewer than 50 grams carbs daily. You may have a few days of withdrawal.

I am more than a decade post-op. For years, I have eaten a scramble or an omelet almost daily for my breakfast, consisting of one egg, some type of meat (bacon, ham, leftover steak, leftover pork chop diced up, shrimp, etc.), a few veggies (e.g. mushrooms, onions, bell peppers, spinach), cream cheese, and at least one other kind of cheese (cheddar, Swiss, pepperjack -- whatever goes best with the meat/veg combo of the day). That starts my day off well with a high protein, high fat, low carb boost! I have been able to stand to have this daily for years because of how I mix it up with the ingredients.

I also incorporate a Chike coffee protein shake each morning. I blend cold coffee, a splash of almond mil**** and the Chike coffee powder in my Magic Bullet. It's one of the only protein powders I can stand, because there isn't a nasty whey smell or aftertaste.

That's the only thing that is consistent with me. Lunches can range from a Jimmy Johns unwich (lettuce wrap instead of bread), to a Lean Cuisine or similar low-carb meal (the ones with only meat/veggie, no pasta/rice/potatoes) to which I almost always add extra cheese, to leftovers from last night's dinner. Dinner is meat and a vegetable -- lots of butter!

Remember, upping your fat intake is what will help you feel satisfied and get through the carb cravings. Use lots of butter, mayo, ranch, low-carb tartar sauce if you have fish, cheese, etc. Eat avocados if you like them -- they're a great snack just cut up and drizzled with a garlic olive oil. Eat full-fat, low-carb Greek yogurt for a "sweet" snack. I have to have about 150 grams of fat per day to stay regular, keep my skin and hair from drying out, and feel good. If I don't get enough fat or protein, I crave carbs. If I get plenty of those, then I'm satiated and it's easy to stay away from the sweets.

Good luck!

Amanda in ID
DS ~ Dec. 7, 2005, with Dr. Marchesini in Curitiba, Brazil
sw289/lw135/gw137/cw150
PS ~ June 6 & 19, 2008, with Dr. Kuster, Vila Velha, Brazil
check out my website at http://myweb.cableone.net/aeller5/DS/default.htm