Bpd/DS

Mamat21
on 6/7/16 3:33 pm

So I had the BPD/DS about 4 years ago. I basically live on an Adkins type diet. I do eat more veggies , fruit, and eat some carbs. Very limited. No pastas or white breads at all. Due to low blood sugar I include a piece of multi grain bread daily. So basically I eat lots of meat cheese nuts and also protein shakes. I've maintained my weight for about 8 months and am happy where I am. 

My question is this... I struggle with gas and diarrhea still. I tend to avoid sugar and go for sugar free creamer and such but I'm not sure if the sugar alcohols are the issue or what. This issue has really limited my weekend getaways and such. I have tried devrom but it didn't work. 

Any suggestions or ideas? I try to eliminate foods but I can't pin point it. 

MajorMom
on 6/7/16 4:33 pm - VA

I take a really strong probiotic called VSL#3 DS. It seems to put my gut in normal mode and I don't have to deal with gas or diarrhea. My dose is 300 billion bugs in the AM and 300 billion in the afternoon...300 billion is about 1/2 teaspoon of the powdered probiotic.

I think it's great that you're maintaining on a low carb, high protein diet.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Mamat21
on 6/7/16 4:43 pm

Where can I get it and approximately what is the cost? Is it prescription or some over the counter?

PeteA
on 6/7/16 5:01 pm - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I thought for a long time it was just by prescription but I think now it is OTC too ( or maybe always was ). If you are on a co-pay for your drugs I think a prescription might be cheaper.  

http://www.prevention.com/weight-loss/weight-loss-tips/weigh t-loss-probiotic-strain

I pretty much use a generic but I don't have any special problems I'm working on but I've been on some heavy duty antibiotics and considering upgrading to something like this. It seems pretty pricey but I'm not that up on probiotic costs. I may atart with something like Align or Culterelle.

Pete

larra
on 6/7/16 5:24 pm - bay area, CA

The sugar alcohols could be at least part of the problem. They affect some people even in very low doses. Another possibility is bacterial overgrowth in either your small intestine or colon. When this happens, a short course of Flagyl (metronidazole) can make a world of difference. See if your doctor would be willing to give it a try.

And I do agree about probiotics. There are lots of different ones available. I use Primal Defense Ultra.

Larra

hollykim
on 6/7/16 5:32 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On June 7, 2016 at 10:33 PM Pacific Time, Mamat21 wrote:

So I had the BPD/DS about 4 years ago. I basically live on an Adkins type diet. I do eat more veggies , fruit, and eat some carbs. Very limited. No pastas or white breads at all. Due to low blood sugar I include a piece of multi grain bread daily. So basically I eat lots of meat cheese nuts and also protein shakes. I've maintained my weight for about 8 months and am happy where I am. 

My question is this... I struggle with gas and diarrhea still. I tend to avoid sugar and go for sugar free creamer and such but I'm not sure if the sugar alcohols are the issue or what. This issue has really limited my weekend getaways and such. I have tried devrom but it didn't work. 

Any suggestions or ideas? I try to eliminate foods but I can't pin point it. 

sugar alcohols give me terrible stinky gas. The bread would also give me terrible stinky gas. 

AmandaID
on 6/20/16 3:14 pm - Shoshone, ID

Most sugar substitutes give me horrendous gas. Also, even just that one piece of bread would give me awful gas, too. Aren't there other ways you can get your blood sugar up that doesn't include grains? Grains are killer.

You may, by now, have a bacterial overgrowth. Every few years I need a course of antibiotics to clear out all the bacteria, then I add back in a good probiotic to build back up the good bacteria. 

Amanda in ID
DS ~ Dec. 7, 2005, with Dr. Marchesini in Curitiba, Brazil
sw289/lw135/gw137/cw150
PS ~ June 6 & 19, 2008, with Dr. Kuster, Vila Velha, Brazil
check out my website at http://myweb.cableone.net/aeller5/DS/default.htm