Please help - Looking for a primary care doctor in SF Bay Area for Mexico surgery

galaxygrrl
on 6/4/16 11:36 am

Hi all, 

I've finally decided to get weight lose surgery and I want to go to Mexico to get it done.  I talked to my Primary care doctor today and she is NOT supportive. 

So, that leads to me to search for another Primary Care Dr who will help me with post op tests, etc on this journey..  I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area.  

I'm hoping someone from the Bay Area might share the doctor they used when they got the surgery done in Mexico. 

Please free to private message me too. 

Thanks

Beth

larra
on 6/4/16 4:28 pm - bay area, CA

Since you are posting on the DS forum, I'm assuming you are planning on a DS. I can't help you with the pcp question, sorry, but wanted to comment that the only DS surgeon in Mexico most of us would recommend at all is Dr. Esquerra, who took over for Dr. Ungson. there are other surgeons in Mexico who may say they do the DS, but we've seen some real horror stories.

Your pcp probably doesn't understand that there are good resources in Mexico and other countries if you are careful and do your research. And, for people in the USA who don't have coverage for bariatric surgery and can't afford self-pay here, it really is a good alternative. Hopefully she was just looking out for your safety.

More info in a pm.

Larra

galaxygrrl
on 6/4/16 5:22 pm

Thank you so much!  Very helpful. 

I actually had figured out to go to Mexicali Bariatric for the DS.   And I'm going to talk to Dr. Esquerra about the DS and SARI - s.  They do both at Mexicali Bariatric.  It's really down to those two.  I have not fully ruled out the Mini Gastric Bypass, but my BMI is over 50 and I don't know is the MGB will work for me, so it's moving down the list.  The sleeve is so out and so is the Gastric By Pass. 

I agree about my PCP.  She is lovely and is looking out for me  But, my insurance only covers $10,000 and the DS in San Francisco is $35,0000.

I'm really stuck on the Primary Care Doctor, so Im hoping someone here can help.  Please. :)

Beth

PattyL
on 6/5/16 3:57 pm

The DS has the best results.  Period.  There is nothing better.

Once it's done it's just a fact and your PCP, or any PCP will just have to deal with it!

BrightsideSusan
on 7/5/16 4:43 pm - Pleasanton, CA

I had my surgery in Mexico and was very lucky (following some effort) to find a doctor practicing in the Pleasanton Kaiser office.  He has a background in Bariatric medicine and has been helpful and cooperative especially when it comes to doing my labs.  His name is Dr. Vig.  I know this isn't helpful if you are not a Kaiser member, but thot I would post just in case.

You might also look for a private or plan affiliated nutritionist with a bariatrics background.  I would start by contacting practices which do provide the services you can't afford in the US and see if you can get a referral.

BrightsideSusan
HW310 CW143 GW150

BPD-DS on October 24, 2012

fitnessfoodlife.blogspot.com