LB to DS with questions

WyattsMommy2011
on 6/2/16 6:28 pm - Jackson, Mo

Background: 8yrs ago I had lap babd placement in St.Louis, Mo. I weighed 301 lbs. after about two years I was down to 231 lbs. I met a man, got married and had a beautiful little boy. He was diagnosed with CANCER at 18 months. He went to heaven in 2/15 at almost 4 years old. 

While Wyatt was ill I didn't have any healthcare for myself. I had an empty band. 

I went to to see Dr. Wheeler today in St. Louis for consultation. I weighed 311 lbs at 43 years old. I'm 5ft 2. 

I I asked about Vsg or Rny.. He suggested DS. 

So.. I want to know about DS. I want to know the good, bad and ugly. My band will be put in a few weeks but I have to wait 3 months before I do DS. 

What can can I do now to prepare for DS? 

Is the surgery painful? 

What was your worst complication? 

Things you eat? 

Are you happy? 

Any help appreciated! 

Please share photos for inspiration.. 

Once I get this done I want another baby. I miss my son terribly. 

Stacy

MajorMom
on 6/3/16 2:16 am - VA

Welcome to the DS board.  

I'm so sorry about your son. You seem to have so much inner strength, I can not imagine all you've been through.  

I'm a little confused about your band, are you having it filled or taken out followed by a 3 month wait before a DS revision?  Regardless, one way to prepare for the DS would be to start with a low carb high protein diet. You may want to start taking probiotics and vitamins now as well. I did very well with the surgery itself but I was a band revision. I understand from others that recovering from the removing the port for the band was kind of painful. The DS surgery was challenging but after the first week or so things were easy. 

I post my meals on the daily Bites, Vites and Exercites thread, you are welcome to join us there as you prepare and after your DS. I'm almost 9 years post-op, so my Bites are not as controlled as they were the first few years. I couldn't be happier with my decision to have the DS. I am a fanatic about vitamins and protein but other than that, I'm pretty normal. If you'll send me a friend request you can see my profile where there are pre and post op pictures. And, I know several post-op DSrs that have had happy healthy babies. Wishing you all the best.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

WyattsMommy2011
on 6/3/16 5:01 am - Jackson, Mo

Thanks Gina,

I'll be having the band removed followed by a 3 month wait. Revision surgery. 

My doctor seems to think this is the way to go for me. 

ANY thoughts on the surgery? Any information would be appreciated!

Stacy

hollykim
on 6/3/16 12:10 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On June 3, 2016 at 12:01 PM Pacific Time, WyattsMommy2011 wrote:

Thanks Gina,

I'll be having the band removed followed by a 3 month wait. Revision surgery. 

My doctor seems to think this is the way to go for me. 

ANY thoughts on the surgery? Any information would be appreciated!

Stacy

I converted my VSG to a dS 15 months ago. 

I love my ds.The surgery and recovery was no problem for me but I recover well. 

i only have trouble with foods that are too dry, namely meats so I make sure they are moist by not over cooking or over reheating. 

larra
on 6/3/16 10:42 am - bay area, CA

I am so very sorry for your loss.

The DS has the best statistics of any bariatric surgery for percentage excess weight loss, for maintaining that weight loss, and for resolution of almost all comorbidities. We are seeing more and more people revise from lap band and sleeve and even from gastric bypass to DS all the time, and IMHO there would be even more people revising if they knew it was possible and could get insurance coverage. I think you've made a great decision.

The surgery was not esp painful for me (others may have had a different experience), I can eat whatever I want because there is no laundry list of foods you can never eat again as there is with gastric bypass BUT it is essential to get in protein first. Dumping occurs rarely if ever, unlike gastric bypass, and we can take NSAIDs safely (they are contraindicated for life after gastric bypass). Ii am over 10 years post-op and very happy with my decision.

I will also send you a pm with more info so check for it.

Larra

Darice N.
on 7/1/16 5:53 pm - Washington, AR
Lap Band on 08/08/05 with

Hi Larra, I am planning on having a revision from the Lap band to the DS this summer. Who did your surgery & where did you have it done ? 

Thanks, Darice