Dr. K - Consultation Timeframe

yepbob30
on 5/24/16 7:14 am

Hi there -

First time actually posting but have been reading these boards for a long time.  I had a RNY - November 2001 and never lost all the weight.  Didn't gain it all back either, but still depressing :/   I am looking at doing a RNY revision with Dr. K - I have verified with my insurance that it is covered and I meet the criteria.  I filled out his information online last week and Kristina from his office called me back.  We had a nice chat and she had called to verify my insurance as well.  She told me to fill out the onine questionnaire and then would call me back to schedule an online consultation with Dr. K.  I would be traveling from the midwest to California so a lot of it would need to be virtual.

Do you have any experiences you can share or how long it takes them to schedule the actual consult?  I sent her a couple of emails but she hasn't responded.  I don't want to be a pest but not sure if it takes a long time for them to actually schedule that?  Maybe I should just be patient yet....

I would also welcome any experiences you can share in regards to traveling to California to have the surgery with Dr. K - even it it wasn't a revision - just the traveling piece seems kind of extreme to me sometimes.... but it sounds like it's worth it.

thanks!

camamx
on 5/25/16 7:37 am

Dr. K. did my DS in 2002. At that time his practice was in a small town near Fresno, so I can't comment on his present facilities, but his team was excellent. He was trained by Dr Hess, who developed the DS, and has done lots of revisions. Congratulations on choosing the "Platinum Standard" of WLS and having it covered by your insurance! Mine wasn't. I could have had RNY for free, but I paid for the DS; that's how much I believe in it. Try to relax and be patient, not easy I know! 

Dolphingirl1385
on 5/26/16 5:06 pm

Congrats on choosing Dr. K, he is the best! Mine went fairly quickly if I recall....it was two years ago next month. They provided me a list of motels in the area prior to my surgery and I used one of them as they gave me a discount.  They are very friendly and usually on top of things so give it a few more days and if you dont hear back then call again.  My experience with him and his staff has been all positive.

good Luck!

DS on June 13, 2014 with Ara Keshishian

yepbob30
on 5/27/16 12:20 am

Thanks!  I finally heard back from them and have my consult scheduled for June 6th... Kind of nervous but excited!

lwillis22
on 7/11/16 7:30 pm

Congratulations for picking the best DS surgeon!  I can't say enough good things about Dr. K.  My story is long so I won't go into it all but he revised me from a RNY to DS in 2012.  He saved my life as I had a revision done by a Dr. in Grand Rapids, MI that hooked my intestines up on the wrong side and I was absorbing nothing and was getting very sick. Nobody else could figure out what was wrong with me, including my original revision surgeon, nor did he care to try to figure it out.  Dr. K was wonderful!  He is always available to his patients and I can call him and or email him whenever I need.  He is a fabulous surgeon and also a fabulous person.  He is very down to earth and easy to talk to.  His staff are great as well and usually quick to respond. I know Kristina was off for a few days her last week so that might have slowed her up. 

I am headed back out there in Aug for him to make my common channel shorter as I have regained weight and I am hoping to lose some more. I also have a small hernia he is going to repair.  I am traveling from MI and traveled from MI in 2012 and Dr. K's staff makes it easy with hotel recommendations. It is a nice area on the outskirts of LA.  The hospital, Verdugo Hills, is very nice and staff there are great as well.  I am looking forward to going back. 

Any questions for me, don't hesitate to ask. I would love to help anyway possible.

Thanks,

Lori