Duadinal Switch post surgery info.

Razor
on 5/13/16 5:48 am - Elgin, IL

Hello.  I would like to hear from those who had the DS and what I can expect short and long term. 

I originally had the gastric bypass in 2006.I went from 330 lbs to 188 lbs. I did great for years but back issues and lack of following my diet properly lead me to gain it back. 

In Jan 2016 I had the DS. I went from 280 to 220 currently.

I'm looking for short and long term problems but also solutions to the problems. 

Also if anyone is experiencing hair loss, what have you done to slow it down and if possible reverse it. I take my daily vitamins and am extra boat load of all the B vitamins. 

Thank you for you help and your time. 

Ramon

butterfly13
on 5/14/16 9:20 pm
Revision on 04/06/16

Hi Ramon, 

I had a revision from the Lap-Band to the DS on 4/6. Since HS I have had thinning hair related to an endocrine disorder, but since surgery I have been taking Biotin 5,000 mcg daily and I haven't had any crazy hair loss since. 

Hope that helps and good luck with your recovery! 

Valerie G.
on 5/15/16 6:12 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Mine was a virgin DS, and it took 14 months to lose all of my excess weight.  For the hair loss, it's a normal process called telogen effluvium.  Your hair growth cycle is rebooting is all.  Any extra protein or vitamins will benefit the new growth emerging, but will do nothing to lessen the shedding of the new growth pushing out the old.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

PeteA
on 5/15/16 12:22 pm - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Hi Ramon,

While some people have success with biotin supplements and stuff like biotin infused shampoo the supplements never made a difference for me. I just thinned for the first year, Kind of held steady for year 2 and got a little thicker again starting at the end of the 2nd year.

The first couple of years I was really bothered by smelly BM's but once I got used to air fresheners like citrus magic and additives like poo pourri I eventually got over it as a problem. I do tend to be a double flush ( or triple ) when I am out and about about but mostly it isn't that much of an issue as long as I stay away from too much sugar.

It was hard to get used to the vitamins but has now receded back to something I jsut do. I spend more time thinking about it now just because I find it interesting. When I first had my DS i was a little more frantic about the whole thing but I got comfortable with my lab results and that makes it all easier.

I haven't really had any health problems related to the DS. Yes, it is my first go to of "why is this happening???" but none of the Docs go there when I ask and I really think they would if they thought the DS was the problem. Worst things were a bad case of hemrrhoids that led to a fistula. Being 56 the Docs just said I was at that age where it happens nothing to do with my DS BM's. Same with my foot problems, all from damage done pre-op - diabetic neuropathy left me with little or no feeling in my feet. That just leaves me prone to injury.

I think the DS has all been good.

You migh****ch your B6 levels since you are taking extra B's. Too much can be toxic and I've seen a few people that seem to be inclined to high levels post DS when taking extra.

If you have anything more specific feel free to chime in. I know you meant for this to be general but sometimes it is a little hard for us to think of what we migh have considered a problem early out but either fixed it and moved on or found a work around and forgot. 

Pete