Question on nutritional requirements for DS post-op

clg1979
on 5/12/16 10:39 am
DS on 04/19/16

Hi guys!

While I absolutely LOVE my surgeon, I'm not such a big fan of some of the office staff.  I want to ensure that I am getting the correct information so I can be successful this time around. :)  My nutritionist said that I don't need to count calories or log fats...just get at least 90 g of protein and fewer than 75 carbs daily.  Does this sound right to all of you?  Could someone possibly show me a sample meal that you normally eat?  I'm just a little confused...I was a sleever (2008) and this is a bit foreign to me.  My surgery was on the 19th of April.

Thank you so much!

Christy

Valerie G.
on 5/12/16 1:28 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

OMG, that is the most accurate I've heard any nutritionist say about DS eating.  Many do keep their carbs under 50g though, and protein above 100, but darn, I'm actually impressed.  I eat a lot of meat and cheese and butter, for if I get constipated without enough fat.  I'll focus on the protein part of my plate, add a couple of bites of veggies, and fini**** off with a bite or two of whatever I want, be it rice, bread or chocolate cake.  Being nearly full at that time, I don't eat enough to sabotage myself and I never feel deprived.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

clg1979
on 5/13/16 10:15 am
DS on 04/19/16

Thank you, Valerie!  I've definitely been eating a lot of cheese and meat, but was worried about eating too many calories while trying to get in enough protein.  I appreciate all of your help and advice!

Christy

Valerie G.
on 5/15/16 6:14 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Now the big question is what this nut is recommending for vitamins?

Valerie
DS 2005

clg1979
on 5/16/16 7:20 am
DS on 04/19/16

Right now they recommended taking the Celebrate brand of Multi ADEK chewable 3 times daily along with the Iron & Vitamin D chewables.  I go in June for my 6 week appt and they will be doing labs at that time to recheck my blood work. :)

Valerie G.
on 5/23/16 4:44 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Don't put a whole lot of faith in this brand.  It's way overpriced and not absorbed as well as getting the A, D, E and K seperately (a double-dose of Centrum takes care of the rest).  Learn quickly how to read your own labs and don't be afraid to take the bull by the horns.

Valerie
DS 2005

clg1979
on 5/23/16 5:17 am
DS on 04/19/16

Thank you so much for your advice, Valerie!  I definitely want to be successful at this, so I truly appreciate your words of wisdom! :)

Christy

PeteA
on 5/12/16 7:33 pm, edited 5/12/16 12:32 pm - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

It doesn't sound bad depending on your body size. I'm 6:1 and shoot for between 120 and 150 on protein. For the first 2 yeras or so I paid no attention to fat and calories. It's only in the past year that I've been looking at calories in relation to my regular diet.

People pushing hard on carbs will try for 50 instead of 75. Early post-op I think even carbs take care of themselves. I barely had room for protein.

Don't think that means you have to make that goal right away. Best to ease into it. I like the maxim of averaging 30 gm protein at the end of 30 days, 60 after 60, and 90 at the end of 90.  You may get their faster but if you're hitting those bench marks I think you are doing great.

Fats and constipation can be a balancing act. Definitely for the first 6 months I think preventing constipation via chemicals (mag oxide, miralx, etc) and fiber (benefiber or the like) is the better way to go because I think the results are not predictable day to day as you get used to your new intestinal "wiring". As you get further out you can experiment what is a good balance of fats if you need to. Just my opinion on that. 

I had to look up a sample meal from my first month. From a little over a month out:
Protein shake (Optimum Nutrition) (24gms protein)
Boost glucose control (16)
1 oz tuna (7)
2 oz turkey slices (14)
4 oz salmon (28)
chobani greek yogurt (13)

plus liquids of water (20 oz), crystal light(20), Propel (20), misc from protein shake and boost (16).

I looked at a couple of more days and they were mostly variations on slices of lunch meat and cheese along with the shakes and yogurt.

Welcome,

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

clg1979
on 5/13/16 10:13 am
DS on 04/19/16

Thank you so much!  Because they didn't touch my sleeve when they did the 2nd stage DS, I'm already back to a regular diet (other than avoiding pasta and rice) so I wanted to make sure I wouldn't go over in calories while trying to get enough protein in.  I appreciate your help!  Sounds like you've been doing great!

Christy

PeteA
on 5/13/16 2:51 pm - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

RIght I forgot about you being a 2 stage - alternately easier and harder that way.  I've done pretty well but now go up and down in a 15lb range that I struggle to break below.

I've had some success two ways. First I can usually tell from my food tracking what was a good day and what wasn't. I sometimes just
eyeball what I had or occasionally use a series of what seem like good days and calculate average calories and protein to use as goals.
I've even done OK modifying WW points as long as I track protein along with the points. I often add 10 - 20% points higher than WW assigns as long as the overage can be attributed to extra protein.

Pete