Kidney Stones while traveling overseas

(deactivated member)
on 5/7/16 10:14 pm

I was traveling for work last week in London, and just before returning home I developed stomach are cramps. They became more severe over a few hours and I ended up in a London Hospital with Kidney Stones. I had to stay over the weekend, and fortunately received very good care in a system that makes me think there may be hope for Obamacare.

I was surprised by a few things:

1) Kidney stones are much more common after WLS and for me will likely be a lifelong issue.

2) UK doctors were very concerned about fluid buildup in the abdomen (ascites). It's the same thing that causes bloated stomachs in starving kids in Somalia. My stomach is not bloated and my DS surgeon is not currently concerned since I'm not showing any visible signs.

3) Weight loss for me has become pretty extreme and my doctor is now considering lengthening my common channel. I'm surprised since I had the SADi DS which is supposed to have a longer common channel to start. This was one of my biggest concerns when I decided on a DS, since I was a lightweight at 300lbs and a 40bmi to start. Now I'm 6.1, 135lbs and about an 18bmi. I eat about 3k calories a day and stuff my face every waking hour.

I'm still hoping my body can adjust and start absorbing more, and the kidney stones level off. I'm probably going to get an independent opinion on the abdomen fluid buildup.

Overall, I'm still glad I did this as long as I can get things under control.