Eating 20 to 25 carbs a day (all greens and NO grains) but not loosing any weight

Derek H.
on 4/18/16 10:32 am

Hello Guys-

This is a mystery to me!!

I need to lose 60 pounds, so I started the Keto Diet some 3 weeks back.

I lost about 8 lbs in the fist 2 weeks. But I've stopped losing. Not lost anything for the past 1 1/2.

I have my carbs around 20- 30 carbs a day from raw veggies like cabbage and broccoli.

I'm eating high fat/ protein: around 150 grams of fat daily and 130 grams of protein. 

Any thoughts?

PattyL
on 4/18/16 11:10 am

Look for hidden sugar.  Milk, coffee creamer, sauces, etc.

However it is normal to stall too.  Lots if not most people will fail to lose some weeks.

Derek H.
on 4/18/16 11:45 am, edited 4/18/16 4:45 am

Thanks!

I try not to have any sauce, and if I do it's sugar free. I use heavy cream (no carbs) and stevia for sweetness.

Maybe I'm just odd!! :)

K P.
on 4/19/16 9:34 am
DS on 07/08/14

Stevia is a sugar alcohol and still technically a carb. Heavy cream also has carbs, less than other options but still there. Also, greens are great but still have carbs. Try tracking religiously via myfitnesspal. You will be surprised. For example I have what I consider a good handle on my carbs and a very good understanding of where mine all come from, however I was surprised to see my salad with kale/spinach/romaine, a few cucumbers, some cheese, and a few small tomato pieces had about 20 carbs! Yes it's a big salad at 32oz bowl size (typical for a restraint size) but that alone is a big chunk. You're not odd, just getting more carbs than you probably realize. Best of luck! 

HW 284; SW 270; CW 152; Revised GW 140-160  

hollykim
on 4/19/16 9:43 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On April 19, 2016 at 4:34 PM Pacific Time, K P. wrote:

Stevia is a sugar alcohol and still technically a carb. Heavy cream also has carbs, less than other options but still there. Also, greens are great but still have carbs. Try tracking religiously via myfitnesspal. You will be surprised. For example I have what I consider a good handle on my carbs and a very good understanding of where mine all come from, however I was surprised to see my salad with kale/spinach/romaine, a few cucumbers, some cheese, and a few small tomato pieces had about 20 carbs! Yes it's a big salad at 32oz bowl size (typical for a restraint size) but that alone is a big chunk. You're not odd, just getting more carbs than you probably realize. Best of luck! 

stevia is not a sugar alcohol. It is a naturally occurring plant sweetener and is not refined and distilled out of sugar like sugar alcohols are.

K P.
on 4/19/16 9:48 am
DS on 07/08/14

Oh yeah very true. Still upsets my stomach and caused blood sugar spikes. I'd still be careful with it.

HW 284; SW 270; CW 152; Revised GW 140-160  

Derek H.
on 4/20/16 3:28 pm

That's what I was thinking stevia is a plant. And heavy whipping cream (at least the type I use) has NO carbs. Even my Keto food calculator shows no carbs. 

PeteA
on 4/18/16 8:29 pm - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

It's always hard to tell what is really going on.

I would suggest listing your complete day's meals for a week
in Gina's Vits and bites post.  SOmetimes other people see what
we miss when looking ourselves.

How are you doing with liquids? Any exercise?

I'm not a big fan of high fat but I know lenty of people do it. Specifically, I'm not sure that 
fits with the keto diet although I don't know a lot about it. When I did high protein / low carb
I didn't bother checking fat or going out of my way to add any.

Whatever works though. Are you measuring waist, arms, thighs?  It might be just a time when
your body is moving things around as opposed to actively losing. It happens sometimes during regular stalls.

????  

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

Derek H.
on 4/20/16 3:29 pm
On April 19, 2016 at 3:29 AM Pacific Time, PeteA wrote:

It's always hard to tell what is really going on.

I would suggest listing your complete day's meals for a week
in Gina's Vits and bites post.  SOmetimes other people see what
we miss when looking ourselves.

How are you doing with liquids? Any exercise?

I'm not a big fan of high fat but I know lenty of people do it. Specifically, I'm not sure that 
fits with the keto diet although I don't know a lot about it. When I did high protein / low carb
I didn't bother checking fat or going out of my way to add any.

Whatever works though. Are you measuring waist, arms, thighs?  It might be just a time when
your body is moving things around as opposed to actively losing. It happens sometimes during regular stalls.

????  

Pete

Thanks Pete

michellemj
on 4/19/16 8:10 am

I'm not a DSer, but I have eaten keto. While your carbs are ok, typically keto is WAY more fat than protein (typical ratios are 75% fat, 20% protein, 5% fat). It's possible that as a DSer, you may not be able to get the ideal ratios, but you may want to push more fat.

Have you tried a keto calculator to determine your ideal numbers?