Revision surgery from a gastric bypass to a DS

Mrs_May
on 4/12/16 9:02 am

Hello everyone, I'm new to the group and have seen all the support everyone is giving each other so I decided to ask you guys for some input. Twenty one years ago I had a gastric bypass and I lost all the access weight, well since then I have gained back a lot of weight and decided to have a revision surgery. The doctor will be given me a DS. I have heard good things and bad things about the surgery so can you guys tell me about your experience with the DS good and bad. I'm 39yrs old with 3 children and a lot of health problems. I need to be healthy for them and just need to know if I'm making the right decision. Thank you 

Renfairewench
on 4/12/16 9:41 am

Could you be more specific in what types of information you are looking for?

I had a revision from RNY to DS in 2009. I spent about 2 years recovering from a multitude of post op complications. I consider myself to be on the line of a worst case scenario. My body did not react well to the surgery. This was not due to malpractice at all. 

After fully healing my health has been pretty good. I take a lot of vitamins, which are always being tweaked. I follow up at least once a year with my revision surgeon. I have suffered from extreme iron anemia and now am fighting an undetermined anemia (not iron related. Possibly copper related). I have osteopenia and struggle with keeping my vitamin levels in good to great ranges. It should be noted that my malabsorption is very aggressive. My common channel was done at 50cm. 

If you have a lot of health issues I recommend making certain that you are vitamin compliant. Don't just think you can take a multivitamin and that is all you need.  You need to be vigilant with consulting your revision surgeon. He should be apprised of other health treatment. Any blood work should be forwarded to him/her.  On average I spend about $80 a month on supplements.  You will need to also need protein supplements (Whey, soy or egg) after surgery for a minimum of a year, but possibly longer. Some long term DSers rely on them as part of their daily diet. I do not as a general rule use protein supplements, however, my latest blood work indicated that my albumin and pre albumin (markers for nutrition or malnutrition) were lower than normal and so I will supplement with Jay Robb egg white protein (I don't like Whey protein****il my next blood panel which will be in a year.

My stats (FYI) are as follows:

Highest weight: 430

Gastric bypass: 1999 - Lost to 210 pounds -220 pounds lost

Revision to DS 2009 - Weight 302

Lowest weight: 157

Current weight 163

Maddie

Mrs_May
on 4/12/16 10:23 am

OMG, you just scared the h*ll out of me! I just wanted to know if anyone had any problems and what to expect. Thank you for all the information you shared with me regarding your surgery it was very helpful.

Laney67
on 6/20/16 10:19 am

Hi MrsMay,

Can you tell me, did Dr Kane do your gastric bypass revision to DS? Or has anyone had Dr Kane do a RnY to DS?

Mrs_May
on 4/12/16 10:24 am
PeteA
on 4/17/16 9:34 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Hi there.  57 years old - 3 years out from a virgin DS. I think the DS is the best thing that I ever did. I'm not sure what you've heard but for most people there aren't a lot of problems as long as they are vitamin and protein compliant. I'm not sure what they advocated when you had your bypass but today there is a vitamin regimen recommended. The one for the DS is just more extensive because the malabsorption from the switch part is more intense. The vitamins are just something you get used to. 3 years later and I am pretty much on cruise control for vitamins. Not that I don't look at the DS first when I have issues it's just experience has showed me, at least for me, the DS has not been behind my issues.

The best thing about the DS for me was preventing weight regain. I'll take the vitamins over that any day. No WLS is perfect but the DS has the best stats.

First 6 months were the hardest as my body healed and I got used to a new way of life but nothing that I couldn't handle. Of course, it helped that you can't just go back to the Doc and say put me back unless you are really not ding well.

Has you Doc dome many revisions from the bypass to the DS? It can be a little intense for a revision depending on what is left from your bypass. Any way if you have some specifics feel free to post.

The BM's and gas, after the first 6 months, are pretty easy to manage through diet and a liberal use of sprays. :) Even for the first 6 months it wasn't bad for me.

Good luck,

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.