brush up on my knoweledge

usandall
on 4/5/16 8:42 pm

Please remind me how we now process carbs proteins and fat?  I remember being told we absorb sugar the same as we did pre op hence the reason I think I have gained wt.  I am looking at the modified fasting protein  diet which appears to be the correct way I should be eating after my DS.  After our procedure do we absorb / process proteins and fats to what percentage.  Have I convinced myself I am unlike any other women out there now that I have the DS and I have a superior digestive system as to avoid getting "to" heavy mean while I am slipping back and gaining some weight and realizing I have been a delusional.  Understand I am intentionally being obnoxious but at the same time I have been reassuring myself all is ok because I am not the size I was prior to surgery.  I think I am realizing any solution still requires work.  There is no procedure out there that just lets me eat and have the trim body I always wanted.

Thanks for any input

Donna

tammym
on 4/5/16 9:19 pm - Portland, OR
Revision on 01/16/12

it will always require work. Especially we we age. Our bodies change. Our metabolism changes. I'm sorry to hear that you are slipping, just keep doing your best! If what you are trying isn't working. Try something new. If you did something in the past that worked but you stopped doing it, go back to it.

usandall
on 4/6/16 11:58 am

Thank you for your reassurance. 

larra
on 4/6/16 8:58 am - bay area, CA

We absorb carbs pretty much like we did before our surgery (esp simple sugars), protein about 40 - 60% absorption, and fat only about 20% absorption. This is the huge advantage of the DS for long term success. If you cut back on carbs, that should help with losing more weight, just make sure you continue to eat enough protein to maintain your health.

Larra

usandall
on 4/6/16 12:00 pm

Thank you for your support.  Just looking at it as day one of the rest of my life................  I hope I get back to working with my DS as a tool.  I do appreciate your response.

Valerie G.
on 4/8/16 4:44 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

First of all, a little regain should be expected, up to 25% of ewl, and you will fight tooth and nail if you want to stay at your absolute lowest weight.  The advice to cut back on those carbs and continue to get required protein will help you gain the upper hand for sure, and at the very least prevent additional gain.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes