Went Back to Low Carb BUT so flippin' Hungry Since

Derek H.
on 3/24/16 1:05 pm

Okay-

So Im trying to lose 60 pounds to get to my goal weight of 199. I started low carb eating (carbs between 20 to 30 a day). 

Ever since starting this a few days ago, I feel like my hunger has grown. Today, I eaten close to 3,000 calories. I'm only at 25 carbs as I've been eating eggs, meats, cheeses, and green salads with full fat dressing. But 3,000 calaries and still somewhat hungry!?!?!

I must be doing something wrong!

Any thoughts?

PattyL
on 3/24/16 3:14 pm

Very normal!  Stop counting calories!  The first 4 or 5 days of low carbing are the hardest.  Then your body adjusts and you become less hungry.  Carbs are the easiest for your body to convert to energy.  Your body is used to lots of carbs and not having to work too hard.  Your body is yelling for carbs!

Don't be hungry.  Eat some bacon, nuts, or jerky for snacks.

(deactivated member)
on 3/25/16 5:12 am

You will get used to low carb in time and then the body will do better with proteins filling you up. I find nuts or other proteins on a small salad help a lot. Good luck to you on reaching your goal.

(deactivated member)
on 3/26/16 9:23 pm

Im not sure why you would expect to lose 60+ pounds eating 3k calories a day. I would guess you'll maintain at +/- 2k, and gain at anything north of 2,500. 

The carbs will make a difference, along with sugar intake. If you limit both, stay around 1,800 calories and get some exercise, you'll probably see the results you are looking for over a year or longer.

Many of the woman on this site seem to eat less than 1,500 calories a day in maintenance mode, and the guys in aware of eat less than 2.5k.

I don't believe in counting calories or BMI, but I highly recommend using a tool like MyFitNessPal to monitor what you eat from a nutritional standpoint, and the number of steps you take each day.

chevtow41
on 3/27/16 7:56 am
DS on 11/11/14

You are wrong. With the DS and eating low carb she certainly could lose the weight eating that number of calories. Only absorbing some of those cals.

(deactivated member)
on 3/27/16 1:45 pm

Maybe I'm wrong but when you haven't reached goal seven years out, it might be time to change the approach.

Derek - I think my suggestion above is solid and will have a chance to work for you but you have to expect it to be something you work at everyday. There's no magic bullet even for all of us with the DS helping.