Night Sweats

Lisa_at_the_beach
on 3/8/16 9:58 am, edited 3/9/16 9:53 am - Raleigh, NC

Hello everyone. I've been lurking for quite a while and appreciated all the good advice other folks have received, so now it's my turn to ask.  I had my DS a year ago and have done great.  The pounds fell off and I've gone from 316 lbs Oct 2015 (I'm 5'6") to 140 lbs today.  The only problem I've experienced is diverticulitis issues and that had nothing to do with the surgery.  

In the last couple months I started having night sweats that left me chilled and miserable and soaked the bed.  I'm 58 and post-menopausal by about 6 years.  Has anyone else experienced anything like this or found anything to help?  It has been miserable.  

PattyL
on 3/8/16 10:21 am

Night sweats can be a sign of D deficiency.  How much do you take per day and what kind?  What are your lab numbers?  You can google this and read up on it.

Lisa_at_the_beach
on 3/8/16 10:28 am, edited 3/8/16 2:25 am - Raleigh, NC

I had my labs about a week ago and my vitamin D total was 47.7.  All my labs looked great, I take 500mg calcium 4 times a day, a multivitamin 3 times a day, dry D in the morning and B12 at night.  My Dr's group does a great job of education and actually has a vitamin store with very competitive prices in their offices only for their patients.   

PattyL
on 3/8/16 3:32 pm

That's normal.  I'm surprised.  Lots of docs sell vitamins and people usually take them till they end up with serious deficiencies.  We seldom see a surgeon's office do a good job with supplements.

Brandy G.
on 3/8/16 10:25 am, edited 3/8/16 2:23 am
DS on 08/20/14

I think this might be the next phase for me.  I'm a 1.5 years past surgery, and just entered the maintenance phase.   I spent most of the last six month freezing.  Like wearing two layers of cotton plus two layers of polar fleece and hugging a heating pad just to try and not shiver kind of freezing. From these forums I think that this is pretty common post DS.

I asked my doctor about it and he said that he didn't know, but he would guess that when my body had all that insulation, it probably streamlined itself into a heat sheading machine and that it hadn't quite caught up with the 165 lbs weight loss to change its mode of operating.  He said that time and/or metabolizing wake-up activities, like exercise, would probably help and that someday I would probably go through a stage where I would cycle from cold to hot and back as the body figured out the new normal.

Last week I was in a warm climate and still mostly cold, but I did cycle back and forth at night.  It had been so long since I had been naturally warm that I kind of enjoyed it, but it got old really, really fast.  Since I got home I am 100% back to shivering, so I don't think it can be a vitamin thing, but I'm going to get my D tested now!

So I'm curious if my doc was right and time will fix this for you and how long it will take!  Keep us posted. 

Thanks!

August 2014 - DS @ Mexicali Bariatric Center / Ungson.
It took me one and a half years to lose 165 pounds.
Weight: High=314, Goal=155, Current=131

(deactivated member)
on 3/8/16 10:56 pm

I have the same issue where I'm always freezing my butt off. My guess is after losing 140lbs and having zero fat left, my body has no insulation against cold or even slightly cool weather.

Hopefully, time heals all things.