Melanie0574
on 3/6/16 10:45 pm

I am currently in the process of researching which surgery to have. I am leaning toward the duodenal switch,because my mother had it done,and has successfully kept the weight off for the last 10 years. Unfortunately the cost if going to be the determining factor for me. Has anyone here had the duodenal done with Medi-cal as your insurance?

MajorMom
on 3/7/16 3:36 pm - VA

I just wanted to welcome you aboard and wish you good luck in your research and decision.  

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Brandy G.
on 3/7/16 6:29 pm
DS on 08/20/14

I ended up paying for it myself approximately $15,000, in Mexico about a year and a half ago.  It was a great experience and I would do it again in a second.  The downside is, of course, the cash, but the upside is you can have it done about a month after you call them .vs. a year of messing with all the requirements and hoops through you insurance company.  

In a perfect world insurance should not be the top requirement when discussing a person's health needs.  And with the DS the quality of your surgeon has a direct influence on your quality of life afterwards.  Do not just take the local guy or whom ever the insurance company requires you to without doing your research. 

Besides, they say that skinny people make more money than fatter people, and so maybe in the long run this strategy would pay off.  Maybe.  :-)

August 2014 - DS @ Mexicali Bariatric Center / Ungson.
It took me one and a half years to lose 165 pounds.
Weight: High=314, Goal=155, Current=131

larra
on 3/8/16 10:15 am - bay area, CA

Getting any kind of bariatric surgery covered with Medi-cal is difficult, but don't let that stand in your way if at all possible. But as others have pointed out, it's very important to get the right surgery done. There is no value to you in putting yourself through the risks and unpleasantness of surgery if  the results aren't going to be what you need.

I will send a little more info in a pm.

Larra

Melanie0574
on 3/8/16 9:12 pm

Thanks for all the replies,and larra thank you for the extra info. I will check it out. :)