Some Food Questions

andersonml
on 2/29/16 3:12 pm

Are green beans considered a 'protein bean'? I'm encouraged to eat 70/30 (70% protein and 30% vegetable) I have no idea what that looks like; I usually eat 6tble. protein and 2tble. veg.. I don't think that's right.

larra
on 2/29/16 4:20 pm - bay area, CA

Green beans are not protein, they are a veggie only. soy beans are protein (some protein, anyway). It is difficult to get enough protein from veggies with the DS - not impossible I suppose, but difficult, because of the amount of soy/veggie protein you would need to consume.

I have never before heard the 70/30 thing. It really depends on the nature and quality of the protein how much you need to consume. For example, beef has more protein/oz than chicken. Saying "6 Tbl of protein" is meaningless, go by the weight and by which one it is.  You need to look at individual foods and the amount of each to figure out how much protein you are consuming. And at first, with your DS, you need to focus on staying hydrated and THEN on protein, and later you can worry about veggies.

Unfortunately, much of the advice given out by bariatric surgons and their nutritionists is either worthless or dangerous. Far too often they give the same advice to people having every operation, even though the protein, vitamin and mineral needs are really very different. So continue your own reading and research.

Larra

Brandy G.
on 3/7/16 9:12 pm
DS on 08/20/14

It took a while before I could eat veggies without getting bloated.   For the first three months I avoided all raw veggies.   I do like veggies, especially after skipping them for so long, but for the first 6 mo or longer I did not eat too many of them.  I just couldn't fit that much food in general, so I focused on meat and cheese and made sure that I got fiber and all my supplements to cover for the lack of veggies.   I found that I could eat a lot more steak if I didn't try to mix in anything else.  Well, maybe mushrooms in lots and lots of butter, but pretty much anything else and it seemed like my meal size got halved. 

Of course, YMMV and I applaud your focus on protein.  Found a web site:  https://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/beans-legumes-hi ghest-protein.php.  Lupin, tofu, soy, tempeh, lentils, winged, split peas, mungo, great northern ......

August 2014 - DS @ Mexicali Bariatric Center / Ungson.
It took me one and a half years to lose 165 pounds.
Weight: High=314, Goal=155, Current=131

andersonml
on 3/8/16 11:17 am

Thank  you for your reply. I was freaking out for a moment after finding out that 'beans' did not mean green beans. A friend that had the exact same surgery as I did gave me a little lesson, again, on what I could/should eat.