life after duodenal switch surgery

Harlee J.
on 2/21/16 8:28 pm - Charlotte, NC

Lay a bag of shrimp skins out in the hot sun for a few days....the smell is quite similar. You don't get to choose when it happens or where you are, normally. There IS a 'friend' that you will want to have in your pocket at all times...called Poopourri. It comes in a take-a-long spray, the size of a lipstick and works well. You can leave the larger size bottle in the bathroom at home.

The most powerful force I have, is what I say to myself and believe.

The most powerful force I have, is what I say to myself and believe.

Busch1974
on 2/17/16 8:32 am

Larra,  thank you for your insight. Yes I am fortunate I have found a doctor that is willing to do this where I live. My only problem is I haven't met a ton of people with this surgery unfortunately that is  why I joined the forum.  I want it to do the stay at process.  You are right not a lot of people know about this where I live or it's not option. I feel the Ds is my best bet for the future for me  I am just trying to get a idea on some foods that might not work for me. I know protein is the key along with my vitamins. How much vitamins are taking in a day and what are using to get that protein level everyday. 

chevtow41
on 2/17/16 11:20 am
DS on 11/11/14

If you eat a lot of carbs you'll have stinky farts. My farts stunk before and so did my poop but everyone I know has poop that stinks, is it more smelly? Probably. Does it smell like poop? Yup. LOL

I had surgery 11-11-14 and I've lost 270 lbs. I eat mostly protein and avoid carbs. I take about 20 vitamins a day. No idea on the $$ of them, I've never figured it out - it's the price I pay to be under 200lbs and alive.

Crazeru
on 2/17/16 3:37 pm

I'll be 8 yrs out in April.  I had the DS because I was insulin dependent and with the 98% cure rate, it was the logical decision for me.  I also knew that I couldn't do the RNY.  I was a light-weight and lost 65lbs, but my diabetes is gone, along with my high bp, and cholesterol.  I take vitamins and adjust for my labs.  I do have to take a presc potassium and had iron infusions last summer.

I was lactose intolerant, now lactose, whey and gluten.  Certain veggies make me very gassy and uncomfortable onions, broccoli, cauliflower to name a few.  I eat mostly protein 100-150 g/day.  If I decide to have bread, I pay the price, it's a choice.

Dr Rabkin took out my gall bladder and appendix with my DS.  Haven't missed either. 

I never looked back.  Best decision for me. 

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

Jengeiger
on 2/21/16 3:10 pm
DS on 02/23/16

Thanks for your post.  I'm scheduled for my surgery in two days for many of the same reasons (insulin dependent diabetes).  I'm happy to have this forum as we navigate post surgery...and the experiences shared.

puffierus
on 2/23/16 12:03 pm - PA

Hi  can you tell me a little bit about how your diabetes has worked after the surgery. My husband has been a insulin dependent diabetic for  20 years. He had the DS done on  02/17/2016 at that time his doctors had him stop all of his diabetic meds.  It has only been a week and he is barely getting  40 -50 grams of protein in now. His blood sugar readings have been around 150-170 with no medicines.  How did your sugar level run after your surgery? Have you been able to stay off of the insulin?   He is a light weight also, only about 50-60 lbs of excess weight, he did it manly for the diabetes. Just wondering if it really works 

thank you for your time  

HW 268   SW219   CW 181.2 surgery date 10/31/2013

:<span class=

Crazeru
on 2/23/16 2:54 pm, edited 2/23/16 6:52 am

I had two shots of 2u of insulin in the hospital, nothing after than.  My A1C is around 5.  I haven't checked my blood sugar for years. 

I do have one friend who still needs to do a shot a day maybe 10u, instead of the 4 or 5 shots of 400u.  Most are in the 98% bracket.

Worked for me.  I was only on insulin for a year.  When I started my A1C was 12.8.  I think it took 6mo for my A1C to come down.

ETA:  30 g of protein for the first 30 day, then 60 for month 2, 90g for month 3.  Don't sweat not getting in 90g the first month.  I'd eat a bite or two and be full.  Look up Val Groce's Ricotta Fluff recipe.  Lots of protein, creamy and easy to eat.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

MajorMom
on 2/17/16 3:37 pm - VA

You've gotten some great comments back. One of the things that has helped me be more normal in regards to gas is a prescription strength probiotic called VSL#3 DS. It's a powder and required refrigeration. I take 1/2 teaspoon in the AM with my Greek yogurt and another 1/2 teaspoon in the afternoon in a protein shake, they keep the gas totally under control. 

I also follow Vitalady's vitamin plan and adjust as my labs come in. There are a lot of pills but worth the trouble. My labs have been great and I feel healthy and strong.

Protein is a priority for me. For the first 7 years I would drink 120 grams of protein in the form of protein shakes and protein coffees. Any food was just extra but I was always sure I was getting plenty of protein to keep from losing muscle mass. 

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

AngelnChains
on 2/17/16 7:23 pm
DS on 11/17/14

Hello! and congrats on taking control of your life :) no matter what you decide to do! I had whats called a bpd/ds on Nov 17, 2014. I just had my 1 year anniversary and Im going to tell you its been life altering! Ive lost over 185 lbs so far, and am nearly to my goal weight although hoping to surpass by a little haha. To be honest, I personally would do it again no problem but I was ready for the change and willing to do the low carb high protein diet. I had to totally change how I ate and now have to monitor my protein or I fall short and feel ugh! I have to take vitamins multiple times daily. And the weight loss itself doesnt change WHO you are or HOW you feel so much as how you look to others, I just want you to know that. Your still going to be you and your still going to feel the same, to be honest I feel like the fat girl I was in a lot smaller body! ( Im at 165 now  and started at 353 ). So I do deal with not understanding peoples reactions and silly things like that. Im not sure if this will help you at all but you wanted honest opinions and this ones mine. Hope it gives you a little insight anyway. 

Brandy G.
on 2/28/16 1:18 pm
DS on 08/20/14

Regrets?  OMG no!  Best thing I ever did. 

I'm at 1.5 years out.  So, I've met my goal weight loss of 165 lbs but they say the bad nutritional deficiencies may not show up for another year or two.  Right now I take ~30 supplement pills a day, many of which are targeted against constipation.  I typically have one BM first thing when I get up.  Although I do fart more than I used to fart and they do smell differently, I'm not sure I am any worse than my non-ds husband. 

Best of all, I can eat anything I want.  Bread, veggies, pasta may give me the occasional fart, but do not cause any digestive upset or unscheduled quick trots to the bathroom.   I'm not sure that is typical, it doesn't seem typical reading the forums, but then people who do not have any problems do not typically hang out on forums.  YMMV.

The negative side is the daily maintenance of dealing with a compromised digestive system.  It permeates every minute of the day.  Right now you have a perfect digestive system, certainly more efficient and better than most people will ever know.  Post any bariatric surgery you will not and that has a cost, but it is more of a pain-in-the-arse lots of little nits kind of thing.  You have to manage it.  Actually, you don't really.  You could ignore it all for a short time, but it will catch up with you in really bad ways if you do. 

August 2014 - DS @ Mexicali Bariatric Center / Ungson.
It took me one and a half years to lose 165 pounds.
Weight: High=314, Goal=155, Current=131