life after duodenal switch surgery

Busch1974
on 2/16/16 9:08 am

I am looking for the some feedback on the surgery and how you have adjusted and how much weight loss and if you would do it again.  My doctors are strongly recommending this surgery but I haven't hardly met anybody who has done this procedure. 

K P.
on 2/16/16 12:38 pm
DS on 07/08/14

Although it is considered by many as the "platinum" standard (as opposed to the gold standard for RNY) it doesn't seem many surgeons perform it. I know where I went, they performed 2 the year I had mine, myself being one of those. This surgery has the best proven long term effects.

It's nothing short of life changing. I can tell you I would make the decision to have this surgery again in a heartbeat. I have lost about 150lbs and am working on maintaining my weight. Sure there are downsides, but none that would cause me to change my mind.

I see this question fairly often on this board, and usually there are a few good responses. Not trying to put you off but I would browse back a few pages and look at some of these posts. You will also get a feel for some of the issues people have. Also, look at dsfacts.com There is a ton of really good information on the site.

Best of luck on your journey, and let us know if we can help answer any questions you might have.

-K

HW 284; SW 270; CW 152; Revised GW 140-160  

Busch1974
on 2/16/16 1:02 pm

Thank you for response. Yes you are correct not a lot of people are getting this procedure done. I live in buffalo ny area. My doctor is the only one doing this procedure where I live. I am just trying to get some feedback because nobody at group sessions has done it and a had psychiatrist recommend this site today. Are doing 90 to 100 mg of protein a day and how much vitamins are u using.  Do u feel weaker at all. I know the smell can be smelly. Is there certain foods that you have avoided all together. I am just trying to get feel on what to expect after surgery. 

K P.
on 2/16/16 1:34 pm
DS on 07/08/14

I do about 120+ grams of protein a day. I eat a lot of high protein snacks and it adds up.

As far as foods I avoid: carbs. I can tolerate some vegetables and certain carbs in small doses but often end up with gas, upset stomach, diarrhea etc if I eat too many. I've also gone thru what I consider phases. For example at one point I could not eat tomatoes or I'd get horrible heart burn. (I have GERD and did before surgery) Recently I've added them back without problem. It's a learning process. Some people are able to eat more carbs than others, but I think the general consensus is to limit them. I'm also hypoglycemic so I need to avoid them for that reason as well.

I felt weak after surgery which is typical. And then after I had my gallbladder out (some Drs do this with the DS, but not mine) I got anemic and was weak then. Other than that I'm stronger and get sick less often then when I was heavy.

If I eat high carb foods I get smellier. Diet is the main factor when it comes to this. You also get into a "routine". I wake up and after about a half an hr I go, then again 15-30 min after that. Then I usually go all day without. 

HW 284; SW 270; CW 152; Revised GW 140-160  

larra
on 2/16/16 7:36 pm - bay area, CA

I had the Ds almost 10 years ago. I have never had a moment of regret, even during the early recovery days, which were tough. I knew it was the only way I would get to and stay at a normal or near normal weight. The key words are "stay at", because maintenance of weight loss is a big problem with other operations. Yes, they are better known and more commonly done, but the results are not as good, and there are long term studies proving it. The DS has the best results of any bariatric surgery not only for percentage excess weight loss, but also for maintaining that weight loss and for permanent resolution of almost all comorbidities.

You are very fortunate to have a surgeon who is recommending this operation for you. Many bariatric surgeons who don't do the DS don't even mention it's existence, which, IMHO, is a failure to provide informed consent. Over the years, I've seen many posts from people who were post-op and wish they had known about the DS before their surgeries. Whatever decision you eventually make, it should be an informed decision.

Larra

Sunshine16
on 2/17/16 5:32 am, edited 2/16/16 9:30 pm

DS is the best surgery, but nothing is a magic pill.  This surgery reacts differently to everyone.  With me it forces in a way for me to eat right, due to the annoy side effects.  Gas, stomach noises, and bad BM smell.  It is costly because YOU MOST  take your vitamins and supplements, it is a requirement that you can not take lightly in signing up, but yes I look good, and yes it is better choice....but you can not take lightly that this is a lifestyle. I have a routine, that weekly I pack my vitamins and supplements....which is not cheap, but doable. My bathroom habits are not normal by far.  Do I regret...well, I'm happy that I'm smaller and feel good. You have to weigh what you really want.

SW / CW / GW 292 / 188 / 174 - Height 5'7, Size 10

Busch1974
on 2/17/16 8:40 am

How much vitamins are you taking a day. Yes I know it's a huge change. I am just getting a idea how the smell is with this surgery. What kind of foods are u a voiding now. Thank you for your help 

Sunshine16
on 2/17/16 8:48 am

This is what was recommended, I do not venture too far from this daily plan.  I do not take copper, I need more Vitamin K, I do not take as much calcium...you will have to figure out what your body need long term, but this is a good start.

Morning 1 Vitamin C 1,000mg Evening 2 Vitamin A 25,000IU = 50,000IU
5 Tender 60mg Iron 300mg or 2 Polysaccharide=300mg (elemental) (See Note 1) 1 Vitamin E 400IU
1 Copper 2mg 2 Calcium 300mg = 600mg (elemental)
1 Multi Vitamin/Mineral (See Note 4)
  1 Vitamin D 50,000IU
1 Zinc 50mg or 2 each 23mg
Mid-Day 1 Vitamin A 25,000IU Bed Time 2 Calcium 300mg = 600mg (elemental)
1 Vitamin B-12 5,000mcg 1 Vitamin A 25,000IU
2 Calcium 300mg = 600mg (elemental) 2 Magnesium Citrate 140mg = 280mg (elemental)
1 B Complex (See Notes 2 and 3) 1 Vitamin C 1,000mg
1 Vitamin E 400IU 1 Vitamin K-1 1,000mcg (See Note 5)
1 Multi Vitamin/Mineral (See Note 4)
1 Zinc 50mg or 2 each 23mg
Sunshine16
on 2/17/16 8:50 am, edited 2/17/16 12:49 am

Remember I am no doctor, always consult an expert for your needs. I am not licensed to give advice, just what was advised to me. 

This was Vitalady recommendation back in the day. 

Busch1974
on 2/17/16 1:04 pm

I was just getting a idea on what my possible future could look like.  I have some knowledge from my nutritionist. Thank you for your detailed description.