pre op low carb 6-8 weeks?

alishak
on 1/28/16 1:53 pm

Hello all. I dont have a surgery date yet as im still in the proccess of getting all my tests done. But i dont have to do the 3-6 month diet because of my bmi. But he does want me from now till i have the surgery is to do basically an atkins diet. He gave me two pages of what to eat but they arent very specific in certain areas. For instance all it says is to only eat 3 meals per day. With concentration being on protien. Only a baked potato or brown rice with dinner only. And if i absolutely have to snack or still hungry i can have veggies or a little fruit. And up to 3 pieces of bread a day. I cant have milk or yogurt i think?. Cottage cheese is ok. No pop. Sweeteners of any kind. And no salad dressing whatsoever. Only vinegar and lemon juice.  Right now we are remodeling our kitchen. Its not going to be finished for months. So im not really sure how to do this without a kitchen. But basically my question is do you have any ideas on things u ate. I would like to go stock up on some stuff so that i dont get outa control for the next 2 months trying to eat this diet.  Its worth it to make the surgery safer but its stressing me out truing to think Of what to eat. thats why im askikg for tips because without a kitchen and what not i dont want to screw up. 

PattyL
on 1/28/16 2:32 pm

What makes Atkins work is restricting carbs.  When in doubt, eat meat.  Start reading labels.  Real mayo has no carbs and most salad dressings are fine.  And forget fruit and bread.  Loaded with carbs.  One of the easiest Akins rules is eat nothing white.  Read up on Atkins induction diet.  One of the best things is that on Atkins you don't have to starve.  Atkins is low sugar, NOT low fat.

Here's a sample menu.

Breakfast

2 eggs fried in butter with cheddar cheese

2 slices bacon

Snack

cheese and deli meat rollup

Lunch

Tuna with mayo on lettuce

Snack

peanut butter and celery

Dinner

2 chicken thighs, green beans, salad

Snack

cashew nuts

alishak
on 1/28/16 5:19 pm

That all sounds good and totally doable. But he did say no to butters. Cheeses. Dressings sour cream. Etc. I think im going to call him back though and get a little more info from him. Because from what u just said doesnt sound bad at all. And ive been writing things down all day ideas of what to have at each meal 

Like bf 

Frittata eggs with spinach tomato onion ive made before with no cheese and loved or cottage cheese is ok. But i hate cottage cheese. So im wondering if i can do a green smoothie with plain yogurt. Or milk.

Lunch i could have a sandwhich with meat and veggies and mustard. Id love if i can have mayo but it looks like maybe he wants low fat too. Oh he says i can have soup or salad alokg with the .protein first

Dinner. Meat and potato or brown rice.  with veggies. Soup Or salad protein 

Snacks he said fruits and veggies ok. Not too many fruits. And no dips or dressings. And its ok to have a small amount of hummus. 

Tea without sweeteners. And thats pretty much it. 

So its gonna be hard but im gonna call him to ask because like i said before this is a pretty strict diet he wants and i want to be prepared yikes!! Lol

K P.
on 1/28/16 7:32 pm
DS on 07/08/14

I would not be here without my butter, cheese, dressing, sour cream etc. I think they say that because they are focusing more on caloric intake. The problem is many times when you switch to low fat you add sugar, to make it palatable. I would avoid fruit too much sugar. I even would cut out regular yogurt (way too much sugar even in plain), no bread, no rice, NO CARBS! Get rid of them. Some veggies are also loaded with carbs. 

Look up ketosis. You want this. I was at less than 50 total carbs a day for the longest time. Some days were in the 20's, well most. If you can cut out the carbs now your liquid diet will be easier. 

I keep atkins meals in my freezer for when I need a meal in a pinch. They work, but some of them are still too high in carbs for me since they count net and I do gross. 

The meal plan you laid out isn't horrible, but like I said, there are still some ways you can make changes. Oh, and you will be hungry, for me it was about 3-5 days before the smaller amount of food wouldn't give me a headache (later learned I have hypoglycemia). 

Mainly if you are going to make any change, get rid of carbs - especially sugar. 

You can do this!

HW 284; SW 270; CW 152; Revised GW 140-160  

PattyL
on 1/30/16 5:47 pm

Then the diet he is talking about has no relation to Atkins.  I would ask him to clarify and get it in written form.

alishak
on 1/28/16 9:07 pm

Are u talking about just for pre op you did this or did u give up carbs for good. 

K P.
on 1/29/16 7:24 am
DS on 07/08/14

I have been able to eat some since surgery but pretty much they are gone with the exception of some chocolate and veggies. I can't eat bread, pasta, fruit, pancakes, muffins, none of it. 

alishak
on 1/29/16 10:24 am

Oh man.  Is this because of the side effects of the surgery?

K P.
on 1/29/16 6:14 pm
DS on 07/08/14

Yup. Carbs give me horrible gas and diarrhea 

PattyL
on 1/30/16 5:49 pm

Until you are about 10% UNDER goal the only good carb is the one you don't eat.