Smoking after surgery

hollykim
on 1/28/16 12:44 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 27, 2016 at 11:34 PM Pacific Time, DEBGG wrote:

I also never said to tell them it's ok-when it's not. Again I am saying this site was made for support, if you are an ex-smoker you should have some understanding-knowing how hard this daily fight is. If you have never smoked before...then I don't understand how you can comment. Again this site is for support. I, and many others, joined this site to talk to others who are going through the same things. So, when someone asks about smoking after surgery, it's not anyone's place to tell them yes or no, we should offer support "congrats on being cigarette free" or "I understand your struggle but it can affect healing, so keep up the good work, you can do it!" That to me offers support. I guess everyone is different though

it is also not your place to tell any one what and how we should be posting our own defination of "support", and that IS what you are doing.

larra
on 1/23/16 5:11 pm - bay area, CA

The short answer: never.

the long answer: with 2 months of not smoking going for you, this is a great opportunity to quit forever. Make the most of it. And honestly, are you really looking for permission from us, or anyone else, to smoke? It's your decision, but I hope no one else in your life, either here or IRL, contributes to you making what you already know would be a bad decision. Note: not saying you are a bad person! Just that it would be a bad decision.

Larra

Sydnee22
on 1/23/16 7:47 pm
DS on 12/29/15

I have been really good at not giving into temptation. I think I'm going to stay strong and not give in. Thanks larra :)

PeteA
on 1/23/16 7:39 pm - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Sorry, if you were looking for encouragement of that vice probably the wrong place to look.

The actual answer would be when your lung capacity is back to normal. If they sent you home with a device to check your lung capacity (sphygometer??) Then that is one way to tell otherwise they usually talk about 2 to 3 months to heal. I would wait for the 3 months juat to be safe.

We all have our personal demons so do what you can when you can. We all had WLS, at least in part, to lead healthier lives so it's hard to give what might be taken as encouragement to something not healthy. You'll see the same level of "non-support support" for people that aren't eating right or not taking their vitamins. We all become invested in a more healthy lifestyle.

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

Sydnee22
on 1/23/16 7:45 pm
DS on 12/29/15

Thank you Pete I'm trying to do everything right! I think I have come a long way without smoking I just need to keep it that way. But thank you agian 

Laura in Texas
on 1/27/16 11:32 am

Smoking will increase your risk of ulcers, something I would not want to EVER deal with after having my guts rearranged from weight loss surgery. I hope you can convince yourself to quit. Good luck!!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."