RNY or Duodenal Switch???

KattattaK
on 1/24/16 8:21 am

I'm curious,  is the DS typically performed on "lightweights" by any chance? 

larra
on 1/24/16 12:44 pm - bay area, CA

The DS is a standard of care bariatric surgery for anyone who meets the usual NIH criteria for medical necessity and not just for heavier patients. There are lightweights who have it and do great with it. Some of the benefits of the DS that you won't get with other operations are metabolic, in that it has the best rate of permanent resolution for type 2 diabetes of any bariatric surgery and also is beneficial for people with PCOS and other metabolic problems.

bmi is only one factor in the decision as to what operation to have. Your comorbidities, family history, weight loss history, and lifestyle also need to be considered.

Larra

KattattaK
on 1/24/16 1:46 pm

Larra thank you for that information! I've gone to 3 different bariatric surgeons and asked about the DS. They each have told me they absolutely would not perform that particular surgery on me, despite knowing I have PCOS and metabolic syndrome. I found this strange and thought I'd ask about it here. I had the band in 2005 and will FINALLY be having it removed this year. I've been researching wls options. 

larra
on 1/24/16 3:15 pm - bay area, CA

Of course they said that. They don't offer the DS for anyone, and if you decide that the DS is what's best for you they lose a paying customer...oh excuse me, I mean they lose a patient.

Consult with a surgeon who does the DS. Learn everything you can about ALL your options, then make an informed decision as to what's the best choice for you.

Larra

KattattaK
on 1/24/16 3:30 pm

I will do that. Thank you, Larra!!!

KattattaK
on 1/24/16 3:31 pm

I don't think we have any surgeons who perform the procedure here in San diego, but I think there are some about a couple of hours away. 

(deactivated member)
on 1/24/16 4:43 pm

There is something of a hybrid between the two called a DS SADi. It's a modified DS procedure that includes a longer common channel than a standard DS. Many (probably most) people seeing a qualified DS surgeon these days are offered the DS SADi as a fist option due to its lower risk and high success rates. Many people will tell you it's experimental but its been in practice for over 8 years with great success.

I had the SADi about 14 months ago and lost 140lbs in 9 months. Since I started with a 39 to 40bmi (lightweight), I have lost 100% of my excess body weight, and then some.

I would strongly recommend you discuss all options with a qualified surgeon who is competent to perform all 3. Otherwise, if your doctors' only tool is a hammer, your only option will be a nail.

Deelyn
on 1/25/16 6:43 am

Jmuldune...thanks for your information!  Wow....140lbs in 9months is amazing!