Looks like a have an ulcer

joneswood
on 12/25/15 9:45 pm

in the er and they think I have an ulcer. My ds was 8 years ago with no issues. I'm under a lot of stress and have been smoking. I know this contributed. My issue is what are treatments, pain relief and outlook?

larra
on 12/26/15 10:39 am - bay area, CA

There are lots of great meds for ulcers these days, and if you do have one I'm sure your doctors will prescribe at least one for you, maybe more than one. they will also tell you to stop smoking as smoking interferes with ulcer healing, and to not take NSAIDs (if you take them) and avoid alcohol (same reasons as smoking). They will also test to see if you have H. pylori, and if you do, they will prescribe antibiotics for that.

It used to be thought that stress caused ulcers - the old type A personality stuff. We now know that this is not the case. Not to say you haven't been under a lot of stress, just that that probably isn't the cause of the ulcer (though it isn't helping you, either).

Outlook, with treatment and compliance on your part, should be good.

Larra

joneswood
on 12/30/15 1:54 pm

Thank you, but things took a quick turn for the worse on Saturday night.  Extreme pain and turns out I had gall stones passing.  Monday they removed by gall bladder and now, I'm at home resting.  Been a wild ride.  Looking forward to following my program and a healthy year.

larra
on 12/30/15 2:16 pm - bay area, CA

The good news here is that your gall bladder is gone forever, and you'll never miss it. Better than an ulcer, IMHO. Now you just need to recover and move forward with your life. Better days ahead!

Larra