Doctor's visit

K P.
on 12/15/15 1:49 pm
DS on 07/08/14

Does anyone else feel like when they go to the Doctor they get both "good" and "bad" news? I sure do. I had blood drawn on the 4th mainly to check and make sure my iron/ferritin were back up and we threw a few other things in since i'm 18 months out now. 

Good news: My iron and ferritin are both within normal limits now. This is amazing for me. The transfusion and extra pills have helped. 

Bad news: My vitamin K is low. Its been on the low end of the range but never below the normal, until now. But thats easy enough to get back up. But that also explains a few things.

My glucose is very low, especially for not fasting. I had my blood drawn about 2 hours after waking up, about 1-1.5 hours after drinking my protein shake and having coffee with whole milk. My result - 56. Normal range starts at 65. My doctor thinks i've probably developed hypoglycemia. Which actually makes perfect sense considering I have many symptoms that I'd just ignored before. I get headaches, tremors, facial numbness around my mouth, muscle twitching, confusion, lightheadedness especially when standing, and tiredness. I have just gotten so used to all this that I didn't think anything of it, just considered it my new normal. Anyway, i'll be seeing my endocrinologist about the hypoglycemia and until then, i'll keep focusing on keeping carbs out of my diet, but work on getting better making sure I eat every 90 minutes or so. I've found if I go longer than this I get symptoms. This am my whole mouth and surrounding area went number because I hadn't ingested anything for 90 minutes or so. But I am at home so was able to recognize the signs and grab a cheese stick before I got worse. 

Oh, and on top of it all i've been fighting a cold for a few weeks now. I already take vitamin C with my iron, but i've added in some 

Sometimes I feel like i'm playing "pop-a-mole"! But, I wouldn't trade this for being my old weight again. 

HW 284; SW 270; CW 152; Revised GW 140-160  

sweetpotato1959
on 12/15/15 4:37 pm

I have both low blood sugar, for 30 + years and.. have occassional levels of low Vit K, and low Potassium and magnesiums.  My Zinc also runs borderline...

For Low blood sugars you need to add a small amount of Slowly absorbed carbs.. try 1 ounce of sweet peas, corn or potatoes, be sure to take it with protein.peanut butter also works for me, when sugars act up.. or just after your shake is in...and it is time you can eat.. my guess is it is 1.5 hrs or so before your symptoms begin..  If you had something like 3 oz oatmeal, add a large tablespoon of peanut-butter to it...   The reason your sugars keep dropping is not because you don't have enough blood sugar, but are hapening because your sugars go beyond where your body sees it as an elevation and releases a "dose " of insulin. If you wish to go with a medicine, Metformin will control it.. If you want to go with a natural supplement, I would use Bitter Melon  once a day for 15 days each month..

Vitamin K is easy to get up...eat a few greens, or take two vivactiv chews for two days,.. they taste really good.  Vitamin A and Zinc boost immune response.. there are many other naturals that can be used from time to time..You can search this several ways. Go to a supplement catalog and search their immune boosters, or go to a herbalsit site and search from there.. When your Iron, Zinc, A  are stabilized it will help.  Don't forget the D3.. everyone needs at least 5000 u. If your body is mal absorbing...and it should be, you will need more.. a sun light lamp will help, just put it by your chair, and turn it on when you are reading, crafting, or just chillin'.

Denise
K P.
on 12/15/15 5:18 pm
DS on 07/08/14

Thanks for the reply.  My vitamin A & D are usually if not always good. I supplement the D already and typically my A doesn't require supplementation. Only time it did was when I had my gallbladder out and couldn't eat what I needed too. 

I'm trying to stay away from adding another pill right now, so am going to try hard to manage the hypoglycemia with diet. I typically don't eat too many carbs because they upset my stomach - especially starchy carbs or simple carbs (oh but I do indulge somedays...). I love peanut butter and have started using it to "balance" me out now - i'm even taking a container to work to snack on. I do eat every few hours, mainly because I need to keep my calories up, but its amazing how on the days I eat my snacks like I should how I feel better (who would have though ;-)).  I have a hard time with salad, some days my body tolerates it, some days it goes straight through. Have you had butter lettuce (or Boston lettuce) it is by far my favorite. 

Oh, and I love my "Happy light" I use it when i'm in my office - which is only three days a week - but its amazing especially on the grey Seattle days. Thank you again for the tips. 

Have a good evening :) 

Keila

HW 284; SW 270; CW 152; Revised GW 140-160  

sweetpotato1959
on 12/15/15 7:35 pm

the bitter melon is only used 15 days a month, generally takes a couple months to make any difference. Idon't tolerate much lettuce, but do slaw if it is very finelt shredded.D is a good immune booster and I don't think they have fully researched all it's actions..  the key on carbs is very small servings. my trigger to an insulin release is 2 -4oz servings over 4 hours. you need to measure and record so you can find your sweet spot of enough, but not enough to spur a drop.

Denise