Is DS procedure still relevant? Please advise......

OptimisticNSouth
on 12/15/15 9:34 pm
RNY on 03/09/16

On today, I had a phone conversation with the nurse to schedule an appointment to meet the surgeon - initial consultation.  During the phone conversation, I continued to explain how I have always had a desire to have the DS procedure done, but was delayed due to insurance provider recently agreed to pay.  She asked, without delay, why would I have a desire to have that procedure done? It has been replaced by the VSG and the surgeons aren't doing many at all now.  I must admit, I am disappointed in her suggestion ... and unsolicited  opinion.  Have I been "left behind" and need to catch up?  She concluded by saying VSG is 1st step towards DS procedure that is too evasive and only for those 400 lbs are more.   I still want the DS done..My appointment is scheduled on 1-11-16 to see the surgeon. 

Please advise.

Shotrod64
on 12/16/15 12:41 am - Spanaway, WA
I don't see that it isn't relevant anymore. In fact I'm seeing a lot of them done now as compared to 5 yrs ago and some surgeons believe it is the best one out there for long term. I had the sleeve/VSG and now getting a revision to DS. It does seem to depend on the surgeon on the weight though and their personal preference. Not to mention I believe some only want to do as little as they have to and the VSG is as simple as it gets next to say lapband. Not saying it isn't a simple surgery but that it is much much easier than the DS or RNY. The DS is the biggest one though.

With my own personal experience and what I know now, I wouldn't have the sleeve again. Great for those that can really watch what they eat and stick to it for the rest of their lives. No malabsorption. Basically your stomach is smaller, that's it.

Stick to your guns.

Oh and I'm 275 and started at 296, having surgery Friday.

I'm sure others will for sure chime in.
Shotrod64
on 12/16/15 12:47 am - Spanaway, WA
I should add and I will learn more as I go, the DS requires more maintenance and you have to be sure to keep up on you bloodwork and vitamins, nutrition in general because it is so malabsorptive.
Shotrod64
on 12/16/15 12:49 am - Spanaway, WA
Check this thread if you haven't and you can learn more as another person is asking questions on the DS

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/5430643/New-Here-hello-and-questions/#45864778
Valerie G.
on 12/16/15 10:29 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I'd tell her where to shove her opinions.  There are still way too many getting revisions from VSG to DS to consider it too much.  I personally think a second surgery is too much to consider, and if I can get the maximum results in one, you bet your ass I'll go for the one.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

OptimisticNSouth
on 12/16/15 10:53 am
RNY on 03/09/16

Thanks, Valerie. Your opinion is golden with me.  I have been following OH for 10 years now. It was the support team as yourself that always added wisdom.  I like the restriction and the malasorptive factors the DS provide.  I won't be swayed.  I am not looking forward for an additional surgery to fix something that has no apparent reason to be broken.  Kudos to OH for pouring into potential people who depend on the soundness this forum provide.

Future DSer!

larra
on 12/16/15 12:22 pm - bay area, CA

That nurse - who has no business giving a MEDICAL opinion in the first place - is full of crap. The DS has the best statistics of any bariatric surgery for percentage excess weight loss, for MAINTAINING that weight loss, and for resolution of almost all comorbidities. We see new people almost every week looking to revise from VSG to DS (and there are far more getting stuck with VSG to RNY revisions because their surgeons only do VSG and RNY and thus losing all the advantages of keeping the function of the pyloric valve). Most do well initially, but can't sustain the weight loss and/or never lose enough weight. And if you have any major comorbidities, such as type 2 diabetes esp but also sleep apnea or high blood pressure, your chances for permanent resolution are much better with DS than VSG.

I wonder if your prospective surgeon even does the DS, and if so, what is the difference in insurance reimbursement for the different operations. While they are both major surgery, VSG is obviously going to be quicker and easier than DS.

Yes, stick to your guns, and make damn sure you have a surgeon who does the DS and not just RNY and VSG. Also make sure you know the vitamin, mineral and protein requirements for the DS and that you are ready for the life time commitment to these requirements, because you probably won't get adequate info about them from this practice.

more info coming in a pm.

Larra

PattyL
on 12/16/15 3:38 pm

There is no surgery with better results than the DS.  None.  Not even close.  You are right and she is wrong.

Always follow the money and they want yours.  It is called "Bait and don't switch".  They say anything to get you in the office then they will tell you why the DS is horrible and why whatever surgery they DO will answer all your prayers.

If you read about docs here on OH, probably 80 to 90% of them say they do the DS.  Not true.  They want to get your physical self into their office so they can convince you what ever they offer is what you need.

There is a 100% chance if you walk into that office on 1/11, this is what will happen to you.  MAYBE there are 150 surgeons world-wide who do the DS regularly.  Go see one.