Need OB/GYN in the Salt Lake City area who knows how to manage DS patient's pregnancy

Vikki C.
on 12/15/15 4:06 pm

My daughter had DS in 2000, and has relocated far from her original surgeon.  She is in need of an expert OB/GYN who can manage the high-risk nature of pregnancy following the Duodenal Switch procedure.  If anyone has experience of a very good OB/GYN in the Salt Lake area, please let me know.  

Actually, she needs follow-up of a general nature as well, i.e. nutritional status evaluation and guidance. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thank you so much.

~Vikki~

sweetpotato1959
on 12/15/15 7:53 pm

Vicki,

She should get her copies of her chart...ie her surgical record including the surgery flow sheet with description of the completed operation and discharge instructions and summary...with any follow up records... and copies of the labs done then, her most recent labs, before her move..When i moved 2000 miles that is what my GP had me do to have a knowledgeable GI surgeon with MY info in case I had another intestinal twist...( I had two in 5 years)..I had to go see this Dr just to have someone familiar with my case in town.

..so her OB will have full info. Can't help with that area. but many with these WLS procedures have been able to sucessfully have families.Congrats Grandma..

She needs to be sure she specifies to her OB, her nutritional challenges.. , she should try to find an OB that specializes on high risk pregnancies, not only for their care now, but so that her calcium, magnesium  etc does not drop and her body raid  from her bones and teeth. One of the best preventatives is to make sure all her essential elements that enable us to use those base minerals is in place.  Boron is key.to utilizing both.  Hope this helps.

Denise
Vikki C.
on 12/15/15 9:09 pm

Thank you, Denise.  I will pass your advice on to my daughter.  She isn't pregnant yet, but she's planning to be.  I advised her to work on getting her nutritional status to optimum levels before she conceives.  Because pregnancy in DS patients can carry high risks, she wants to establish with a good OB/GYN who knows about postop DS pregnancy concerns so that she can have confidence that her pregnancy will be safely managed and her baby will be as healthy as possible.

Vikki  

~Vikki~

Valerie G.
on 12/16/15 12:19 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

It's a challenge to find a PCP who knows the DS, let alone an OB.  Have her print out some good information to share with the doc about the DS, and she will need to watch her nutritional levels closely.  I think there's some supplements she may need to cut from her regimen, too.  I believe there is a pregnancy board here, and those who know RNY go through similar scenario's.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Vikki C.
on 12/16/15 12:54 pm

Thanks, Valerie.  I'll look for the pregnancy board -- appreciate your reply.

~Vikki~

poplargreys
on 12/16/15 3:08 pm
VSG on 03/31/15

Rocky Mountain Adsociated Physicians (RMAP) is one of the valley's bariatric centers of excellence, and they are located inside the St Mark's Hospital. They can probably refer her to one of the PCP's within their medical complex that deals with a lot of their patients, and they likely know some local OB's with post-WLS pregnancy experience. 

Good luck.

Vikki C.
on 12/16/15 3:12 pm

Thank you so much for the information.  I will be sure to pass it on to my daughter.  Fingers-crossed she will find a good doctor.

~Vikki~