Vitamins.

Cmenow1
on 11/6/15 6:45 pm

I had a DS 4/24/15 and have lost 95 lbs and don't really want to loose anymore. I'm a size 6 at 140 lbs and feel a bit on the thin side. 

Ive been so busy with life that I have not spent a lot of time on this site until lately. I'm tired of so much meat and have been working on other proteins. I tried vitalady vitamins, but just can not get them down, so take a chewable multi and chewable ADEK and additional dry D. I'm not sure this is enough. I feel like my body is too small and worry about muscle mass. 

Any thoughts?

Thank You. 

Connie

MajorMom
on 11/7/15 3:08 am - VA

Muscle mass can be helped by light weight lifting and exercise, also by adding protein shakes. You could aim for 120 grams of protein a day using protein shakes. Otherwise, dairy, eggs, and soft meats are the next best bet for protein.

Getting too small is a part of the process, so try not to worry too much. The second and third year post-op you should see some redistribution of weight and you won't look like a melted candle quite so much. Be patient. 

You might want to take a look at your iron serum, ferritin, hematocrit, and hemoglobin labs. Make sure your'e getting enough iron before you crash those labs. Also, look into taking calcium citrate before you lose too much bone density You mention losing muscle, we also lose bone density when we drop weight as quickly as we do. 

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Cmenow1
on 11/7/15 5:50 am

Thank you so much. I so appreciate the information and encouragement. 

(deactivated member)
on 11/7/15 6:18 pm

I can 1 up your dilemma. I had surgery last Nov and also weigh about 140, but I'm a 6'1 male with a goal weight around 185.

One lesson I've learned is you have no control over your goal weight, as your body will adjust to where it wants and over a long period of time (a couple of years +), you will start to have a say in it thru your actions.

I'm stabilizing around where I am now, and I'm very diligent about hydration, protein, vitamins etc. My labs are good and I'm healthy despite looking anorexic, so for now I'm sticking with the program and letting time work out the kinks in the process.

I don't regret anything but I must admit I didn't expect to get this thin ever. No doubt I underestimated the true time frame for a full recovery which is more of a multi year process, and includes dealing with weight stabilization, planned regaining within reason, strength training, loose skin issues and remedies etc.

Cmenow1
on 5/18/21 10:04 pm

MajorMom,

You were right. Didn'****ch my calcium enough and have broken three bones this past year. One was a bad break while skiing. I was in a wheelchair for 12 weeks and put on some weight.
i had to get an iron infusion and now officially have osteoporosis. Starting on meds for that.
So,.... I am getting ready to go back to square one with protein, vitamins and trying to exercise. I hate the 17 lbs that I have gained and am beating the hell out of myself for letting things slip.
Thank you again for all you do.

Connie