I'm 3 days out from my revision to a DS and I need some advice

bisous1
on 11/4/15 6:59 pm

I had a sleeve done in 2008 and lost 110 lbs. Over the past couple of years I have gained back 50 lbs. My doctor was asked to do a live surgery at the bariatric conference this week of a sleeve to DS conversion and asked me if I wanted to do it for free. I jumped at the chance since I've wished I did the DS to begin with.

Starting last night I've been having the worst diarrhea of my life. i know it is to be expected to to have it but I certainly never expected to basically peeing out that end non-stop. Please tell me this is only very temporary!!!

Also, I think I have also developed a terrible UTI from surgery. I feel like I'm on fire down there, it hurts to pee, can't get the pee out, etc. Isn't that a weird side affect from surgery? So between the UTI and the diarrhea 50x today, I am so miserable. I called my doc's office and they said to go to my primary care to the get the UTI treated, like I feel like going to the doctor 3 days after surgery!

Have any of you had a sleeve to DS revision? He was going to tighten up my sleeve but said it didn't need it. I was kinda bummed about that but nice to not be healing from that as well.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

I look forward to getting to know you!

April

larra
on 11/4/15 8:48 pm - bay area, CA

You know, I had written a reply based on the diagnosis you came up with yourself, and then I realized that I really have no way of knowing what's going on, and even though some of your symptoms sure sound like a UTI, you are only 3 days post-op and you should not be expected to sort out what is wrong yourself. That's what your surgeon is there for, not just to do the surgery, but to take care of you for some reasonable period of time post-op. At just 3 days post-op, you should still be under his care IMHO.

Call your surgeon again. Demand to be seen. In particular, while some diarrhea is to be expected after intestinal surgery, 50 times/day is NOT the normal after the DS and worries me that something serious could be going on in your abdomen that is irritating your intestines and causing them to react this way. And this is definitely not something that should be handed off to your pcp, who is not a surgeon and can't be expected to assess a serious post-op problem like a surgeon can. Who knows? Not me, and not your surgeon either because he hasn't done any kind of evaluation.

Demand to be seen. Do not accept no for an answer. If you just can't get past his staff, take your poor self to the ER and get ALL the problems evaluated, not just a piecemeal approach. I don't know what's going on but I'm worried about you. Do whatever you need to do to get a full evaluation.

Larra

White Dove
on 11/5/15 2:56 am - Warren, OH

It sounds like that surgeon used you for his demonstration and is done providing free care.  You need to get to a doctor or emergency room even if you don't feel like it.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

on 11/5/15 3:25 am

It is normal to have some very loose stool. But not up to 50 times a day

I think you will be fine drink lots of liquids

VSG TO DS REVISION 

PattyL
on 11/5/15 12:57 pm

You need to be seen.  Probably need antibiotics for the UTI.  But you are only a few days out of surgery so don't be 2nd guessing all this and go to the doc.  Get anti diarrheal meds too.  That much diarrhea is not normal and needs to be treated.

Drink some gator aid or pedialyte to combat dehydration and keep drinking it!  You need the fluids and the salts.  Eat some yogurt with live cultures if you are allowed food.

Down the road after you get through this initial problem, remember imodium is your friend.

LynnAlex
on 11/5/15 2:45 pm
RNY on 08/04/15

I iknow nothing about your surgery.  I do know that I got an UTI after having a dumping episode with diarrhea.  When you are having an explosive great time, some ecoli can get to areas further to the front than normal.

Age 61 5'4" Consult-6/2/15: 238 SW-8/4/15: 210 CW:145 (6/30/18) M1-16#, M2-17#, M3-14#, M4-10#, M5-6#, M6-5#, M7-1#, M8 -3# Range 133-138 DexaScan 4/16/17 19% body fat---- 2016 wt avg 142-146, 2017, wt. avg 132-136, 2018 avg weight 144-146 bounce back is real.

larra
on 11/5/15 3:45 pm - bay area, CA

I hope by now you have seen a doctor, either the surgeon or an ER doctor, and that you have had appropriate evaluation and some answers and treatment. It would be a mistake to just take lomotil or some UTI antibiotics wthout knowing what's going on. That would just mask the symptoms of something potentially much more serious that needs more aggressive treatment.

As this early point post-op it isn't safe to assume anything. I hope it all turns out to be something simiple like a UTI, but I am still concerned about the amount of diarrhea you are describing, which is very abnormal and not something to just take lomotil and stay hydrated.

Let us know how you are doing. People here are concerned.

Larra

bisous1
on 11/5/15 6:16 pm

Thank you all so much for your input! I took an at home UTI test which was positive. I called my gyno and he called in a prescription of antibiotics for me. My diarrhea has been tons better today. I'd say still 6-8 times but much much better than yesterday. My surgeon is supposed to call me tomorrow so I intend to talk to him about it all then and then I'll be seen on Monday. I has been a very rough couple of days to say the least.

larra
on 11/6/15 11:18 am - bay area, CA

I'm very glad you're doing better! But don't hesitate to get more care over the weekend if you take a turn for the worse.

Larra