Newbie Question

unc4mee
on 11/4/15 9:23 am
with

Good morning all,

Here is my story ... I am 42 - Starting weight 210 - current weight 205 - I have two nutrition classes left before my Dr, can submit for approval. I have high blood pressure and sleep apnea. I am debating between the sleeve and the switch.

Can I get some feedback on

-low BMI appovals with Aetna

-which procedure would be best

Thanks a million

PattyL
on 11/4/15 10:28 am

Start by READING your policy. Aetna has hundreds of policies and the only way to find out what's covered is by reading yours.

I am not familiar with your doc. Are you sure he does the DS?

What's your BMI and why do you think you are heavy? Just a number doesn't mean much. 200lbs is not unreasonable for someone who is 6'3".

larra
on 11/4/15 5:02 pm - bay area, CA

The Ds has the best statistics of any bariatric surgery for percentage excess weight loss, for maintaining that weight loss, and for resolution of almost all comorbidities, including high blood pressure and sleep apnea. It is a standard of care bariatric operation for anyone who meets meets the standard criteria for bariatric surgery and not just for people with higher bmi's. While I can't speak personally as a "lightweight", I do know other people who had the DS with a bmi less than 40 and various comorbidities and they have done very well.

As Patty said, you need to know the specifics of YOUR policy to see what is and isn't covered. And if the operation you choose isn't covered, you need to know your appeals rights, if any. All this info will be in your EOC (evidence of coverage), which you need to read yourself and not trust some unknown insurance company employee to interpret for you.

And, like Patty, I have never heard of your surgeon as someone who does the DS, and that's after 10 years here and on other forums about the DS. His webpate on this website does not list the DS as a procedure that he performs. He may be an excellent surgeon, but you need to choose your operation first, then choose your surgeon. You are the one who live with this decision, not the surgeon.

Larra