Revision from RNY to DS

(deactivated member)
on 11/4/15 5:59 pm - Canada

Thank ou. I've heard noting but wonderful things about my surgeon, so I think I'll be ok.

deannaz
on 11/16/15 5:36 am

Hi there....

I am currently looking into revision of my proximal rny.  Curious why the suggestion of distal rny vs DS as I personally have a consultation with a Dr at the end of this week and am feeling nervous...  My RNY was done in 2002 and I have gained the weight back.  After discussing with my primary care Dr looking at the possibility of having this revision done if the bariatric Dr agrees but trying to gather some info.  It has been a while since I have been on this page or researched Any of this.  Your input would be much appreciated.

Deanna

Grim_Traveller
on 11/16/15 7:11 am
RNY on 08/21/12

No, I think the DS is much better than a distal RNY. For an existing RNY, a distal RNY is easier for a surgeon to do than a true DS, that's why they do them. But it's not better for you.

A revision from RNY to DS is very complicated. In short, they put your innards back the way they originally were, then start from scratch with a DS. I think you can count on your fingers the number of surgeons who do enough of these to trust them. I've heard of maybe three that I would even consider.

This kind of revision is a really big deal. Do a LOT of research, ask a LOT of questions. It's a much bigger and dangerous surgery than the first one you had.

Good luck.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

deannaz
on 11/16/15 1:43 pm

Thank you so much for your quick reply.  I am limited by who my insurance works with.  I am covered for Dr Cyrus Moon ( this is the Dr I will be having the consultation with).  He actually worked with Dr Kashishian in his practice for some time in Central California.... ((spelling?...the one that is noted as one of the best here in California) and he has been awarded something for a video of the procedure but I do not see much on this site about him by the way of reviews or input.  Does that name ring any bells for you?  I have been searching the site but no luck.  Again, any input is appreciated....

Deanna

Grim_Traveller
on 11/16/15 2:50 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I don't know of Dr. Moon, but Dr. K is one of the 2 or 3 best.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

ladygodiva1228
on 11/5/15 4:37 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

You can fail at the DS just like you failed at the RNY if you do not fix the problems in your head.  You admitted to going back to old habits and it seems you wanted to rely on having dumping and throwing up to help you lose the weight. 

From your About me page:

Hello everyone!

My name is Tanya.  I work full time as a receptionist at a medical clinic.  I am currently 310lbs....(yikes that's hard to admit!)  I had my RNY done on April 14, 2014.  I lost 48lbs in 6 months, then starting gaining back.  I had no dumping syndrome or throwing up, I could eat what I wanted.  Unfortunately I slipped back into some old habits...

If I were you I would get to a therapist and work on why you went back to your old habits.  Then start working the tool you were given.  You do realize that you can only have your inside arraigned so many times and then you start having complications and issues that can lead to death.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

(deactivated member)
on 11/5/15 7:55 am - Canada

I guess I was wrong....I thought this was supposed to be a supportive group.  Yes I have some eating issues...obviously we all did at some point.  

Thank you for making me feel even worse than ever!