Revision from RNY to DS

(deactivated member)
on 11/2/15 7:05 pm - Canada

Hello everyone

I have had a failed RNY and am in the process of have a DS done. Is there anyone else having this done?i

larra
on 11/3/15 9:28 am - bay area, CA

I have no personal experience with this but can say that we are seeing new people seeking revision from RNY, lap band and sleeve to DS all the time. I hope you have found an experienced DS surgeon for this, as RNY to DS revision is a very complex, challenging and higher risk operation that is only being done by a very few DS surgeons.

I am sending you a pm so be on the lookout for it.

Larra

stacy T.
on 11/3/15 9:43 am - San Francisco, CA

I had the DS to begin with but I know two women who did the revision from RNY to DS and were very happy. One in particular suffered terrible dumping syndrome, and not just from sweets. The DS resolved that.

Laura in Texas
on 11/4/15 5:28 pm

How long ago was your RNY? On your blog post you said it was this year. I assume that was a typo.

Why did your RNY fail? Was there a mechanical failure? Please find a surgeon who knows how to do a RNY to DS conversion. Too many surgeons do not have the necessary skills.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

(deactivated member)
on 11/4/15 6:02 pm - Canada

I'm not sure why it failed. It will be 2 years in April that I had the RNY done.

Ladytazz
on 11/4/15 9:20 pm

Whatever you do please find out why you failed your first surgery or else you may find the second surgery not as successful as you hope.

All the WLS in the world won't help if you have eating issues, especially refined carbs, bread, sugar and the like. Simple carbs are absorbed 100% no matter what surgery you have so if that is your problem address that before you have another dangerous surgery.

I have done well with my revision, so far, only because I completely understood and accepted why my first surgery failed and made changes so it would be more successful the second time.

Understand that the reason the DS is so successful is because of malabsorption. Mainly of fat and protein. Malabsorption if a very powerful tool and can be dangerous if you are not fully prepared to have a strict vitamin regiment and keep up with your labs. You must be committed for follow up for life.

Personally I think most WLS patients would do well to work through their eating issues before going under the knife. Maybe if I had done that the first time I wouldn't have needed the second time.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

ladygodiva1228
on 11/5/15 6:10 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

From reading your "about me" page you know why it failed. 

I don't care what WLS a person has if they DO NOT follow their surgeon's plan they will fail. 

You need to be honest with yourself about why YOU failed the RNY.  It appears you have some serious food issues and wanted to rely on dumping and throwing up to help you lose weight instead of working your tool that you were given.  If you think getting the DS is going to magically make things better you are in for a rude awakening. 

Get to a therapist NOW and then work the tool you have. 

What happens if you do get the DS and don't lose weight and end up with health issues?  Will you still blame the surgery?

Hello everyone!

My name is Tanya.  I work full time as a receptionist at a medical clinic.  I am currently 310lbs....(yikes that's hard to admit!)  I had my RNY done on April 14, 2014.  I lost 48lbs in 6 months, then starting gaining back.  I had no dumping syndrome or throwing up, I could eat what I wanted.  Unfortunately I slipped back into some old habits...

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

ladygodiva1228
on 11/5/15 6:10 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

From reading your "about me" page you know why it failed. 

I don't care what WLS a person has if they DO NOT follow their surgeon's plan they will fail. 

You need to be honest with yourself about why YOU failed the RNY.  It appears you have some serious food issues and wanted to rely on dumping and throwing up to help you lose weight instead of working your tool that you were given.  If you think getting the DS is going to magically make things better you are in for a rude awakening. 

Get to a therapist NOW and then work the tool you have. 

What happens if you do get the DS and don't lose weight and end up with health issues?  Will you still blame the surgery?

Hello everyone!

My name is Tanya.  I work full time as a receptionist at a medical clinic.  I am currently 310lbs....(yikes that's hard to admit!)  I had my RNY done on April 14, 2014.  I lost 48lbs in 6 months, then starting gaining back.  I had no dumping syndrome or throwing up, I could eat what I wanted.  Unfortunately I slipped back into some old habits...

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

(deactivated member)
on 11/4/15 6:28 pm - Canada

It was a typo...ooops!

Grim_Traveller
on 11/4/15 5:31 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

To add to what Laura said, some surgeons will tell you they are doing a DS, or something "like" a DS. What you rwally get is a distal RNY. Make sure you get a good surgeon. They are really rare.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.