Antidepressants and weight gain

challie
on 10/28/15 8:50 am

Hey guys,

Has anyone with a DS gained weight after starting antidepressants? I know many people do gain weight on antidepressants but I thought the DS would prevent this from happening?

larra
on 10/28/15 10:01 am - bay area, CA

There are many good antidepressants available nowadays. I would recommend asking your doctor to prescribe something NOT prone to causing weight gain if at all possible. I can't recall anyone with the DS with this problem, but I think it's a risk. I definitely have encountered a lot of people with gastric bypass *****gain significant amounts of weight when placed on antidepressants that cause weight gain.

Larra

challie
on 10/28/15 12:15 pm

Thanks for your reply. I have actually tried a few antidepressants and finally found one that is working somewhat. It is supposed to be unlikely to cause weight gain, but I recently saw a statistic that 30% of users gain weight. I am suspicious that it is the antidepressant because nothing else has changed and no amount of low carbing seems to be getting it off. Either way, I guess I have to put mental health first.

Chickenboob
on 10/29/15 6:35 pm - Rockland, Canada

OMG anti depressants caused me to gain 45 pounds in 4 months post-op. I kept food journals and kept tell the doctors that this was an issue. but nope. i was just an out of control fatty in their eyes. When I stopped taking them, I stopped gaining weight.

There are supposed to be weight-neutral options out there, but my experience with them have been quite the opposite.

Good luck and hugs to you.

RNY 2011/07/26 HW 338; SW 301; LW 199; Starting over weight 255; CW 212; GOAL #1 lose regain back to 199 lbs!

challie
on 10/30/15 4:42 pm

Thanks for sharing your experience. It is good to know that I am not the only one. Were you able to lose the weight after you stopped taking the antidepressants? Was is difficult? I feel like if I don't get off mine soon, I will be in deep ****

Chickenboob
on 10/30/15 6:55 pm - Rockland, Canada

In all honesty I went off of the rails and imploded. I was so frustrated and saddened by what was going on, I gave up. I ate poorly, stopped exercising. ironically, sliding back into old habits only put on 10 pounds in 2 years. nothing compared to the medication. I got back on track last May, but the nutritionist insisted i add more fruit and oatmeal to my daily meal plan. I exercised like a beast and lost nothing as of September 1st. Then a member suggested I try atkins, which I did. I am doing ok, but not great in my eyes, but I am and always will be a slow loser. I am going to ask about a revision next week, even though one of the commentors on a revision related post made me feel like a lazy slob of a pig who wasn't worth the effort.

Long story short, I am at 229, trying to get rid of my regain by getting down to 194. It may take me a year, but if I keep at it, i will get there.

RNY 2011/07/26 HW 338; SW 301; LW 199; Starting over weight 255; CW 212; GOAL #1 lose regain back to 199 lbs!

challie
on 11/2/15 2:23 pm

Thanks for your honesty and YOU ARE worth the effort! I wish you the best of luck and keep us updated on your progress. I am still on the meds and expect to be for some time so I guess I have to focus my efforts on not gaining rather than losing what I have gained. Low carbing just to maintain is no picnic. Low carbing is also depressing. Catch 22. Anyway, Mental health first!

Chickenboob
on 11/2/15 2:30 pm - Rockland, Canada

Thanks,

The most important thing is for you to focus on your mental health. It is the backbone of everything.

Big hug and best wishes.

K