We need some advice

patngin
on 10/23/15 11:41 am - Nine Mile Falls, WA

Both of us are anemic and are starting on some iron. Her Iron Binding was down to 2% but another number was high. Our PCP wants her on 2 iron tabs a day but didn't specify. We were going to get the Tender Iron from Vita Lady but now we are wondering what is the best to get. Heme iron, carbonyl iron or what. She had an internal bleed while we were on vacation and had to be admitted for 2 units of blood. That is why I think the one number is total iron binding capacity was 508 which is pretty high. She is going it for an endoscopy and colonoscopy on the 5th. We were going to just use ferrous gluconate but can't seem to find that uncoated which just goes right through which is why I thought of Vitalady. Any suggestions????

PattyL
on 10/23/15 11:50 am

This is tough because no one knows what kind of surgery you actually had. Only Heap knows for sure.

I take iron glycinate from Puritan.com. It's a regular capsule with powder inside. I tried a lot of different irons before I found this one. And it's not expensive either.

patngin
on 10/23/15 12:02 pm - Nine Mile Falls, WA

We had a standard BPD-DS We got the op report from Heap on mine and it was standard I don't think he was using his experimental surgeries yet. Hers was 6 months after mine so I hope she got the same one.

Valerie G.
on 10/26/15 6:31 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Like Patty said, nobody knows for sure but him. With all the problems you're having, I'd not be trusting anything he said or wrote down. Ask your doc about iron infusions considering your malnutrition problems. The DS has been around since 1988 - so it was nowhere near new in 2001.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

stacy T.
on 10/23/15 6:58 pm - San Francisco, CA

When my anemia was at its worst my hematocrit was in the low 20's and my hemoglobin was down around 5.

At that point I was pretty much bed bound except for perhaps an hour a day. I was taking Prescription iron supplements that were readily absorbed but I was prone to anemia before my surgery and had a perfect storm of a month that involved 4 medical issues that in and of them selves were not a problem, but collectively resulted in a rapid drop in what were already only borderline ok levels.

I wound up getting 250ml quarterly of Ferrous sucrose. Within 3 weeks of the first infusion I began to recover and within 6 weeks felt around 80% of normal.

I was on those quarterly infusions for 4 years and they kept my levels in the high 40's.

During that time I remained on oral supplements, Multibid x2 a day.

Two years ago I began processing iron and absorbing it better and went off the IV treatments.

Currently I have normal hematocrit and hemoglobin levels.

I remain on the x2 iron supplements plus what I get in my multi.

Based on my experience I am wondering why your Dr has not considered the IV treatment. You might want to inquire about it. It was a life saver for me. Literally.

sweetpotato1959
on 10/23/15 10:13 pm

Have had a different surgery 20 yrs ago, but same issue...WHEN I am very low.. I eat liver patties(make like salmon patties and freeze) about an 1-2 oz. twice a day..and use a natural supplement that has all needed enzymes to help absorb.I can't use any of the coated or uncoated across the counters, ferrous sulfate or carbonyl... they only cramp me...Vita lady was not available to me@ that time. There is a prescribed one called foltrin, ..small enough for me to swallow.. walgreens has one, but it is too big and coated... If you have issues with poor absorbtion with cramping..these might be options...

PeteA
on 10/24/15 12:30 pm - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

OK. Lets talk a little bit about iron.

The vitalady tender iron is just carbonyl. Tender is just a description she uses based on the fact that of the non-heme irons (based on metals) carbonyl is the easiest on the stomach. You should be able to find some non-coated carbonyl tablets at a drug store like CVS or Walgreens. Certainly though amazon or any of the on-line vitamin places like vitamin shoppe or GNC if you decide on something besides vitalady or need something before your order shows up.

When looking at the non-heme iron choices you compare the elemental iron in each as opposed to whatever they say the dose is. Carbonyl is one for 1 elemental iron. I switch off carbonyl with Feosol (ferrous sulfate) which is 325mg but really 65mg elemental iron.

Proferrin is a heme iron. It is the pill form of some of the things other posters talked about like eating liver, etc. The elemental iron levels are smaller than the non-heme irons but are more readily absorbed and have no restrictions as to when you take it.

Non-heme iron you need to keep away from calcium, magnesium, and zinc supplements along with staying away from high fiber foods when you take it. Also, for non-heme irons it is good to take it with Vitamin C to increase absorption. Many, like Vitalady include some vitamin C in the capsule for this purpose but just as easy to take a regularr vitamin C tablet with the iron.

Proferrin, the heme iron is more expensive but you might get your Doc to prescribe it so it is cheaper. I've seen some people get the prescriptions so that might be helpful. I just don't know about doses but most people seem to take either one or 2 a day.

I hope this helps. I would think carbonyl is your first choice of the non-heme's and proferrin if your Doc thinks that is OK.

I hpe this at least helped a little. Good luck.

Pete