DS vs SIDS

(deactivated member)
on 10/2/15 8:20 pm

The SADi was invented about 8 years again by Dr. Pernaute-Sanchez in order to address issues with the DS and RNY proceudres. He has had excellent results and published a study about his results over the past 8 years.

Lately it has become much more mainstream and has been modified slightly by 2 surgeons in the office to further reduce risk and side effects including bathroom issues. The Dr. who performed my surgery at Lennox Hill Hospital in NY is one of the 2. Below is a very informative link about the procedure, why the do it, and how it's become mainstream over the past couple of years.

http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/sips-the-new-kid-on-the-ba riatric-block.2181/

Jennie1959
on 9/30/15 7:38 pm

I will be having the loop surgery.  My surgeon explained the differences between the DS performed 15 Years ago (the one I was resisting) is the length of intestine is extended from 3' to 9'.  That and the digestive juices being with the food longer helps with the strong gas and frequent bowel movements.  His research is showing 1 bm a day vs. Up to 6.  His research so far is showing a much greater success for high bmi's vs. The sleeve.  He did note, fatty foods will still cause the strong gas and other problems.  

Start:  330  |  Current:  330  |   Dr. Christina Richards Salt Lake City  |  03/02/2016

soontobelovely
on 10/1/15 2:47 am - COVINGTON, GA

Thanks for the info Jeannie

Batwingsman
on 10/2/15 9:23 pm - Garland, TX

Sudden Infant Death Syndrome?

Frank talk about the DS / "All I ever wanted to be was thin, like that Rolling Stones dude ... "

HW/461 LW/251 GW/189 CW/274 (yep, a DS semi-failure - it happens :-( )

PeteA
on 10/4/15 12:44 pm - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I think you're choice depends on a couple of different issues. And part of that has to do with where you are weight wise.

It isn't clear that SADI allows the people that are SMO (super morbidly obese) as good a chance at losing all the weight that they would like as opposed to the traditional DS.

Also, the part about no long term studies, in my mind, the important thing to find out is about weight regain. I understand the Docs that do the SADI feel with a little less malabsorption they make things better for some of their patients but I worry (just conjecture on my part) that people will be more apt to regain, although that can happen with a traditional DS too.

I was at 464 the day of surgery from a high of 552. My main thought was what would allow me to take off the most weight and keep it off. I still think, for me, that would be the traditional DS.

Whichever you decide good luck with it. There are lots of success stories for both types of surgeries.

I also need to add that the gas/bathroom issues are easily handled by the majority of DS'rs (post the first 5 months). It's a frequent topic because even for those of us who have had our BM's and gas settle down we still remember the fear of it being an ongoing problem.

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

SWEETMEL7
on 11/2/15 9:31 pm - NY

Hi. I had the SADI on 12/3/13. I am almost two years out and i love it. The surgery worked well for me but i am selective in what I eat. Not that i can't have rice, pasta , potatoes and sugar, i don't like carbs anymore! I'd rather have a prime rib or salmon vs carbs. I can eat some steak for breakfast and be happy. My surgeon recommend the SADI bc i wasn't a severe diabetic. I did have some minor vitamin deficiencies with vitamin D And B1 (thiamine ). This was straightened out quickly. I take 100 mg of B1 daily and 50,000 of vitamin D weekly. My suggestion is ask the surgeon for his recommendation and see if you can decide the day of surgery. Dr Roslin, my surgeon gave me this choice! :

soontobelovely
on 11/3/15 12:08 am - COVINGTON, GA

Thanks!

I have decided to go with the full DS. Surgery scheduled for 12\28. Scared and excited at the same time