Losing arm/shoulder muscle

trumanorme
on 9/9/15 2:14 pm - KS

I am 3.5 years out and all of my bloodwork is looking good, but I am getting weaker and losing muscle in the upper arm and shoulder area. I can feel the difference. Any thoughts or suggestions?

MajorMom
on 9/9/15 6:53 pm, edited 9/10/15 7:37 pm - VA

Maybe add another protein shake or more protein in food, and lift weights and do push-ups (modified or regular).  I've not done heavy duty work outs but just a little several times a day seems to help.

--gina 

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

(deactivated member)
on 9/10/15 7:37 pm

Lots of protein and strength training. It's a problem for everyone as we get older, and a major problem after substantial weight loss.

The protein and strength training will resolve it.

bigmikebigfoothunter
on 9/12/15 7:17 pm
DS on 03/10/14

I'm in the same boat on this one.  I've lost probably lost 60 to 80% of my shoulder and arm muscle drives me nuts. I don't have near the energy as before surgery either. I don't know how to get it back when I feel so weak already. Maybe we will all figure it out. Good luck!!!!-Mike

mktinpiano
on 9/14/15 5:57 pm - GA

Be sure you're having your prealbumin checked.  I found out I was severely protein deficient which is why I was experiencing muscle wasting and didn't have the power in my legs to climb 1 flight of stairs.

chevtow41
on 9/12/15 8:36 pm
DS on 11/11/14

Creatine, protein shakes, and weightlifting. To be honest if you want to get "big" you need to eat big - tough to do with our altered guts. Lift as heavy as you can and supplement. A couple sessions with a decent trainer wouldn't hurt either.