Low Blood Pressure / Lightheaded

(deactivated member)
on 9/7/15 5:03 pm

im about 10 months post op and way below my goal weight. Lately I have started to feel lightheaded whenever I stand, especially after laying down.

I've been monitoring my blood pressure at CVS, and it's consistently around 88 over 57. It used to range between 110/70 to 130/90 before I lost the weight.

Is this something others have experienced?

airbender
on 9/7/15 9:07 pm

it is actually pretty common, after your cardiac work up you are going to be told to take in more salt, yep-bring on more oscar mayer bacon.  80's over 50's is typical for me.  make sure your K is normal and the rest of your lytes.  stand slowly, because if not you will fall rapidly...that too is typical, your weight will taper off at about the 18 month mark....not to worry

If you have a specific question for me, PM me or I will not see it, as I don't check responses on the forums and don't have anything forwarded to my email.

(deactivated member)
on 9/8/15 11:51 am

Thanks, I didn't think blood dropped into this range so I'm glad to know I'm not the only one.

K P.
on 9/8/15 8:31 am
DS on 07/08/14

I get the same thing and my blood pressure is about the same range as yours. Basically just eat lots of salt. Mmmmm salt.

And DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT, stand quickly without support. I have actually fallen over from this...not fun. 

HW 284; SW 270; CW 152; Revised GW 140-160  

(deactivated member)
on 9/8/15 11:52 am

Thanks - can you elaborate on the benefit of salt to help with this?

K P.
on 9/8/15 3:08 pm
DS on 07/08/14

Its one of those that they say when you need to decrease your blood pressure cut back on salt - so when you need to increase your BP you need to increase salt. Here is an article I have found helpful on ways to increase my BP

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/low-blood-pressure/basics/treatment/con-20032298

Its also interesting to note they recommend eating small low carb meals throughout the day. Hopefully you are already doing that :)

HW 284; SW 270; CW 152; Revised GW 140-160  

(deactivated member)
on 9/8/15 5:30 pm

Got it. Thx

Valerie G.
on 9/10/15 9:09 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Like the others said, if your blood pressure is low, try adding more sodium to your diet as the first approach.  Forget all of those articles that say that salt is bad for you.  I had a very similar problem and resolved it this way.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

(deactivated member)
on 9/10/15 7:42 pm

Update from Cardiologist exam yesterday:

surprise - he said to consume more salt and recommended adding a bag of potato chips everyday.

One thing the cardio guy said that did surprise me: If you use an automated blood pressure machine like at CVS or most Dr.s offices, you'll get an inaccurate read if your bottom number is normally low. Your heart rhythm is slower so the machine cuts off the reading too early. You need a manual read to be accurate.

Valerie G.
on 9/11/15 4:51 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

That's a big ol' happy ItoldYaSo - but I would find other sources of salt than potato chips as a standard.  Have fun enjoying the newfound flavor enhancement.  I now miss it if there's not enough salt on my food.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes