Not loosing as much as I had hoped

fatinberkeley
on 9/5/15 11:11 am - berkeley, CA

I had a laparoscopic DS on August 3, so just under 5 weeks ago.  As of this morning I have lost 22 pounds.  I had expected to loose more by now, closer to 30 pounds.  Here is what i am eating, generally a Premium Protein drink (from Costco) with 30 G of protein and 1 net G of sugar in the am, and then another three meals during the day, mostly shrimp, salmon, lf plain greek yogurt, and lf cottage cheese.  If I am between meals and feel like I need to eat something, I might have 1/2 oz of nuts.  I'm still confused about how to count carbs (some say subtract the fiber, etc).  I am feeling bummed out because I'm loosing slowly, but also I thought I'd be feeling just generally better by now but my insides still are very sensitive and I just feel sort of blah all of the time.  I see my surgeon in a week or so for 6 week follow-up.  I also had my gall bladder and appendix removed and a hernia repair, so I am hoping this is just a natural part of the recovery process.  Any thoughts?

MajorMom
on 9/5/15 12:29 pm - VA

I think we all lose at different rates and we start from different places. Did you also have to do a pre-op diet or are you just starting to lose? Some that have a pre-op diet might not lose as quickly their first month but catch up the next month or so.  I lost about the same as you have the first month and I had no pre-op diet but started this crazy journey as a lightweight...36.8 BMI.  Hang tough!

--gina 

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

fatinberkeley
on 9/6/15 10:53 am - berkeley, CA

Thanks for your encouragement.  I did not have to loose weight before surgery, and BMI was 47.  I'm just going to keep going and hope for the best.

airbender
on 9/6/15 4:26 am

only in the MO community would someone say 22 lbs in 5 weeks is slow.  We want it fast, all of us.  Give your body time to recover, especially the first 3 months, we are all different.  For me the first 3 months I didnt lose much, but after that I started losing better.  There are so many factors involved, age, gender, health, revision, starting weight etc.  just keep doing what you are doing, I think it is a good weight loss.

If you have a specific question for me, PM me or I will not see it, as I don't check responses on the forums and don't have anything forwarded to my email.

fatinberkeley
on 9/6/15 10:51 am - berkeley, CA

Thanks for the encouraging words.  Am hanging in.  

TexasLady52
on 9/10/15 10:43 am
Revision on 06/10/14

I am 15 months out....I feel like I am the Queen of Stalls!!  At first it drove me insane because I read a forums where people would say you would lose high numbers the first 6 months (honeymoon stage)....I didn't.  I read they had lost over 100 lbs in xx number of months...I didn't.  I would get so down thinking...here I am failing again.  But I am older....I had a revision.....finally came to conclusion...this is my journey and nobody else....It doesn't matter how long it takes me to reach the finish line.  I have lost 106 lbs in 15 months.....if I compare that to others.....that is slow .....but I had not lost 106 lbs in 15 months before!!!  I am off a lot of medication, I feel better..I look better and that is very important.  Hang in there you will reach your finish line in your own time.  Keep your protein high.....drink lots of water.

chevtow41
on 9/12/15 8:42 pm
DS on 11/11/14

#1 - stop with the low fat foods. #2 - 4-5lbs a week is pretty good. #3 - Your body is going thru massive changes so anything can happen right now.