If you were a self pay DSer what was cost for surgery and where did you choose to have...

michellewolfe24
on 8/19/15 11:19 am - WA

Found out today my current insurance no longer covers bariatrics. I can get on another plan that does cover but it says limitations may apply, whatever that means. I would be a revision since I had vsg a few years ago. Anyway, I just want to get some knowledge on costs in case I have to go the self pay route.

hollykim
on 8/19/15 2:04 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On August 19, 2015 at 11:19 AM Pacific Time, michellewolfe24 wrote:

Found out today my current insurance no longer covers bariatrics. I can get on another plan that does cover but it says limitations may apply, whatever that means. I would be a revision since I had vsg a few years ago. Anyway, I just want to get some knowledge on costs in case I have to go the self pay route.

I had the same revision with Dr. Ungson in Mx ,for 9000.00.

on 8/19/15 3:00 pm

Hi Kim how much weight have you lost since your revision?

VSG TO DS REVISION 

hollykim
on 8/19/15 7:06 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

about 20 #, but I haven't been real strict. That is about 5# a month for me.

PeteA
on 8/19/15 6:24 pm - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

32k at the cleveland clinic. Had I been more adventurous and better informed I would have shopped around more and even given Mexico a closer look. Still happy I had it. Down over 200 lbs since surgery. 2.5 years out.

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

k__
on 8/19/15 9:58 pm - Bellevue, WA
DS on 08/06/15

Also went to Dr. Ungson for what they're terming "second stage" DS. I had my VSG with Dr. Aceves 4 years ago. It cost the same as above, $9K. Tomorrow it will have been 2 weeks since my procedure was performed. I like the people at the clinic - wholly professional, compassionate and the place is kept spotless.

Brandy G.
on 8/20/15 12:30 pm
DS on 08/20/14

I had a virgin DS and priced out doing it in Seattle and it was about 30K, so I went to Mexicali (http://www.mexicalibariatric.com/home/) and it was less than half that.  Dr. Ungson is considered a better surgeon and for the DS, your surgeon is the biggest factor to your success or failure.  I think for a revision, the surgeon is even more important.    Their whole program was very efficient and very well done.  They were all very nice people.  They are used to people contacting them after being stranded by their insurance company.   I haven't heard of anybody going there that wasn't very happy with their experience and their results. 

Good luck!   Shoot me more questions if you like.

August 2014 - DS @ Mexicali Bariatric Center / Ungson.
It took me one and a half years to lose 165 pounds.
Weight: High=314, Goal=155, Current=131

larra
on 8/20/15 3:31 pm - bay area, CA

I suspect that Dr. Ungson will be your best bet, and he has an excellent reputation. You could also call the office of Dr. Srikanth in WA to see what his self-pay rate is, assuming he has one. He also does the DS and also has an excellent reputation, but I have no idea what he would charge for this revision.

Larra

clcp1980
on 8/21/15 11:15 pm

I had a Loop DS by Dr. Cottam in Utah. Because I had a terrible hiatal hernia my insurance covered about half of my surgery. I actually just had this done this week. My total was about 12k for both surgeries. 

Good luck in your decision!

STP
on 9/22/15 3:55 pm - Tacoma, WA

Had my DS (not revision) done by Srikanth (Federal Way WA) in 2007 at a self-pay cost of about $25K -- probably gone up quite a bit by now. I have never regretted having it done locally because of the dedicated "forever" followup that his office provides, and the complexity that the DS requires. However, I am planning Mexico for my body-contouring. The rise in medical tourism is primarily (although not completely) due to cost of procedures in the US, so that may be an option for you to explore.

-- Sandy

HW 275 BMI 42, lowest weight 130

CW (sustained) 137, BMI 21   Now am:  Half the person by weight, twice the person by health!